Background apps and location services

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sunking101, Dec 17, 2014.

1. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

I notice that some apps will only refresh whilst being open and have switchable 'permissions' which allow background refresh always/only when in use/never. Some apps only have two selectable permissions, always/never. One of my sat navs (Navigon doesn't, TomTom does) and the Around Me app have these minimal options and they use location even when closed and not in the app tray. This to me is wrong and they should ALL have the option to disable background activity unless the app is open in the background.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple does not require developers to provide all the toggle options for location services so it literally comes down to you choosing to use an app or not.

The Verizon Mobile app has one of those "always" options in location services. I turn it off because the app still works without requiring location services.

On the flip side Waze is also always/never. They use background location to send you traffic alerts so turning this off makes Waze completely useless.

3. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 604

sunking101

Apple should force the three options on developers because it makes background refresh pretty much useless.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Not sure I follow?

5. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 604

sunking101

If I can't select an app to use GPS only when open, then I can't have that app toggled in background app refresh, thus severely limiting my use of the feature. I should be able to have full control and not be at the developers' mercy.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

The developer has to build that interface into the app as I understand it. That is the way it was designed to operate.

7. Armen, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

Armen macrumors 604

Armen

A developer has guidelines to follow that are put in place by Apple.

If they choose to create an app that uses your current location "always" it's completely their decision. If you don't agree to allow this location service you have the freedom to search for an alternative solution.

You're not at the mercy of a developer and the developer is not obligated to you. It's pretty fairly balanced.