iPhone Background apps closing?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by iObama, Feb 6, 2019.

1. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

Hi all,

I've had some issues recently with background apps. For instance, Google Maps closes in the middle of navigation, often unbeknownst to me. Airmail isn't giving me push notifications, and isn't up to date when I open it.

Background App Refresh is on for both of the apps, but I continue to have problems. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

iOS 12.1.3 on a XS Max.

2. Minorite macrumors 6502

Minorite

Two questions, are you on low power mode and if you've tried force restart?

3. Gravydog316 macrumors 6502

Gravydog316

Send a bug report.
    Never had that happen to me.

4. iObama thread starter macrumors 6502a

iObama

Not on low power mode, and I have tried a restart. Super weird.

Good idea. I'm thinking it's bigger than just Google Maps, but it's worth a shot :)

5. chris4565 macrumors member

chris4565

I’m having similar problems with Instagram. Example: I scroll down the feed, enter just one other app and stay in there for let’s say 1 minute and then when I get back to Instagram the whole feed reloads instead of the feed being in the scrolled down position where it was when I switched to the other app. I seriously can’t believe this. I mean the RAM management of iOS is pretty good usually. Perhaps it’s a problem with the respective apps.

6. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

I don't use Instagram, so is that not how it normally behaves? I have apps that reload just from me exiting and re-entering. I don't even need to load another app. It's not the lack of RAM or poor management of such, it's just the app. When it comes from the background, it starts fresh again. Just curious if it's the app detecting that it's no longer in the background and simply refreshing itself? Or might it be that you were out of the app long enough that it decided a refresh was in order? Like I said, I don't use Instagram, so I can't say if this behavior is normal or not. But since you mentioned that it might be the app, I thought I'd toss that out there.

7. CyberVisitor macrumors 6502

That’s not a problem with iOS, it’s a feature for Instagram. Nobody seems to like it but Instagram keep it like that anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    Have you allowed those apps to use cellular connection for background activity, not just Wi-Fi?

8. chris4565 macrumors member

chris4565

Okay, thanks for the clarification regarding Instagram :)