Background apps

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cs0373, Oct 12, 2010.

1. cs0373 macrumors member

Ok, I have another question. My son has a 3g that I jailbroke with redsn0w. So he now has multitasking and has facebook running in the background. He does not have unlimited data, he has 200mb limit. Does anyone know if having facebook running in the background is a continual use of data? Or only when he actively opens the app? Thanks for any responses. If I need to put this in a different area please let me know as well.

2. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

since it is jail broken im guessing he is using backrounder. witch is basically all out multitasking, so yea it will use data if necessary like the regular app, if it reloads by itself when your in the app it will do the same with backrounder.

3. cs0373 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, I will tell him he needs to have any programs that use data turned completely off and not running in background.

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

As far as I know, Facebook doesn't reload itself automatically when it's the active application (and that's what BGer does, it makes all 'backgrounded' apps active).

The FB app only refreshes itself with user intervention...which isn't possible when the App is "backgrounded" since the user can't do anything to the app without pulling it up.

Second, the FB app doesn't refresh very much data, 200 mb a month will not be easy to chew through with FB just refreshing itself. Be more cautious with things like internet radio. FB is not going to be a data problem, at least as far as 200 mb is concerned.

5. cs0373 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for responding. Actually I was wrong anyway, he has the 2gb plan so shouldn't be even getting close to that. Will warn him about the internet radio and things like youtube and stuff though.