Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rb24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Have noticed that sometimes iOS apps use lots of energy in the background.

Like today the "Oxford English Dictionary" used up 32% of energy in the "background" and all I did was look up one word in it!!!!

The app does have advertising in it. At the same time "Background App refresh" is set to OFF in settings.

What's going on?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Have noticed that sometimes iOS apps use lots of energy in the background.

Like today the "Oxford English Dictionary" used up 32% of energy in the "background" and all I did was look up one word in it!!!!

The app does have advertising in it. At the same time "Background App refresh" is set to OFF in settings.

What's going on?

after using the Dictionary app, do you close the app completely, or, just stop using it?

also, is this app set to use yr Location?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Have you also shut off background activity for it - and for any you don't want background activity for - like all.

rb24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Background activity is OFF and there's not even a Location option, so should be no access to that.

Do not quit it after use, because never quit apps after use (except Waze, 'cos that has access to location and don't want it following me around).
[automerge]1590898514[/automerge]
Even stranger, did quit the app when showing 32% battery usage and made this post. Later in the day it said 48% usage (even though app had been quit) and this morning it says 59% usage for a Dictionary app that has not even been running (phone was plugged in overnight so battery is now full).

Even odder, a second dictionary app (from dictionary.com, I think) which I used immediately afterwards, also shows as a significant energy drain 15%. They are both down for 1m of usage and 5h18m and 5h17m of background usage respectively. Holy cow.

The only thing I would say is that both apps are free and do have plenty of advertisements. But ads can't run in the background can they?

Added screenshots.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpeg
    IMG_1040.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1039.jpeg
    IMG_1039.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.