Background hiss issue, week 38's. (From UK)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by erasr, Oct 4, 2007.

1. erasr macrumors 6502

Hi, to every UK owner who has recently got theirs, basically what I need is confirmation if this is normal or not.

If your iPod touch is in sleep mode or off and headphones are in, put them on and turn it all on. Or just make sure your at the home screen with headphones on and NO music playing. So with nothing playing at all, making sure your in SILENCE or quiet room, can you hear any background noise?

To define noise, I don't think it's like a hiss but more a fuzz, you know like interference. Even with WiFi off this makes no difference to mine. It is not a major noise at all, but just I would've thought even with those earbuds there would be absolute silence. Oh and when you do play music it is near impossible to hear any background fuzz.

2. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

3. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

4. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

lol no!! Try it, turn ipod on have nothing playing and all I wanna know is if everyone else has a slight background fuzz going on!

5. Hydramus macrumors member

Yeah, I get that too, but it is normal to get hiss and it varies depending on the headphones you use. Some are more sensitive than others and as a result you would hear more hiss.

6. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply.

Can anyone else confirm they can hear something in silence? Not sure what the difference is between the 'hiss' issue from w37s

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Doesnt seem as if my week 38 UK touch has this issue.

8. willyu macrumors newbie

posting on my new iPod touch right now...

Week 38, and I do get hiss. However, I did an immediate compare with my 5G iPod and the hiss level is about the same for me. If i am listening to music i don't notice either.

I would say it's normal. After all, when you pack intergrates circuit so tightly together, it's bound to have this kind of problem.

9. Charcoal macrumors newbie

I'm running a Week 38 with a pair of Sony MD-EX71SLs - and there's absolute silence - not even a whiff of a hiss.

10. sparsk macrumors member

I'm using a week 38 with sure E2 earphones.
    The hiss if definitely there. It gets worse when I raise the volume.
    I'm not in the UK though.

Is it a good enough reason to get it exchanged? Will apple store employees accept?

11. Antimatter macrumors regular

I have a week 38 and I get the noise as well. I dont care though, I love this thing!

12. lamewing macrumors newbie

Hiss on FOUR units

ALL tests done with Apple, Zune, Sony and Senheiser earbuds...

I bought from Best Buy in Texas an 8GB and a 16GB. Both had horrible hiss; returned both of them. Week 37 (8GB) and week 38 (16GB)

Bought a week 38 16GB from smalldog and it had the hiss; returned it.

Tried one last time and bought another week 38 16GB from Best Buy. It has the same white noise/hiss; returned it.

I also test a 160GB classic, a Red Zune, and a Sony NWZ-A818. ONLY the Touch had the hiss. The classic, Zune and Sony were ALL dead silent. This is NOT NORMAL as was mentioned in a post above. This is either a manufacturing defect, or worse, a decision by Apple to use substandard components on the Touch to save a buck or two.

STAY AWAY from the Touch for a few months til Apple gets this worked out IF you care at all about sound quality...(kind of an ironic joke considering any iPod...except the 1st gen shuffle).

Joe

13. erasr thread starter macrumors 6502

you know what you are right in a way, but i cant believe this is not a more documented problem. I think some people think a hiss is something that gets worse with volume, but what I meant is just a 'white noise' that joe mentioned, which some ppl will think is normal cos I suppose when you turn a hifi up you can hear fuzzy white noise.

I am weak though! I truly love this thing and so will keep it cos everything else is perfect. Yeah couldve waited months but the faces of mates seeing it is priceless. As for the noise its not heard when played thru a hifi, at all. I am gunna say that even though a couple say otherwise I think a background matter is there on every touch, every review has said so too.

14. robPOD macrumors 6502

Yeah I have a week 38 and can hear white noise (hissing) aswell

15. Malcster macrumors 6502

No hiss at all here.. using V-moda Vibe's. 16 gig, Week 38.

16. duraace macrumors member

No hiss here either (16 gig week 38), but I'm using high quality Sennheiser headphones. I just plugged the Apple earbuds in for the first time to compare, and I thought they sounded kinda tinny with some background hiss, but not much. You might also want to try changing various EQ settings.

I'm of the opinion that my Touch has noticeably better sound quality than my first generation iPod Nano. I really like it.