background in dreamweaver

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mikepro44, Sep 14, 2008.

1. mikepro44 macrumors member

Just wondering if anyone had a problem in dreamweaver with no background showing up (just white)? It shows up when I'm looking at the design in dreamweaver but when I preview it its just white..

any ideas?:confused:

2. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

update not just my background but all my css style arent showing up

3. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

another bit of info, When i do the preview for it in Safari it looks all fine, yet when I look at it in firefox everything is off?:confused:

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Take no offense, but sounds like you're into WYSIWYG editors and have little experience coding and debugging HTML/CSS by hand. Is this true?

For now, assuming you're letting DW manage its own external style sheet sounds like you need to check your HTML script to ensure the style sheet (whatever.css) is linked in the header properly. Could be as simple as a spelling mistake, a path mistake, or missing entirely.

Secondly, not all browsers will render the HTML the same - especially if the layout involves tables instead of DIVs and CSS where content is separated from style and all the code follows DOM standards or isn't XHTML strict. This is a very, very brief explanation as to why, but as to fixing, we must see your code/CSS. If you're not familiar with most of the acronyms I just named, it's time to learn XHTML/CSS and coding by hand. Then you'll be able to use DW for 90% of the work, and be able to debug the expected and usual 10% it and most any other WYSIWYG editor screws up. No editor is perfect because markup is extensible, third party software might be involved, different web technologies, browsers and standards compliancy, and the document type, etc. If such an editor existed which created perfect web sites across all browsers, we'd shut this forum down and all of us would be professional developers using that tool.

-jim