Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
PA
Hi,
I have access to Photoshop CS3 but I am a total newb at it. I am working on redesigning a website for my parents' business. The only logo file they have is a .png. I open this up in Photoshop and I want to eliminate the white background so it doesn't block the web page background. The problem is it looks like the whole graphic is single layer. Is there any way to remove the white background so it's transparent? Thanks in advance for your kind help.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Since it's a PNG, it may have an alpha channel with it. Go over to the Channels tab and see if there's an alpha channel. You can use that as a mask or to create a selection to copy the image over to a new composition.

Otherwise you'll have to play around with masks and alpha channels. Try copying the logo into a new alpha channel and invert it so the background is black. Then use levels to force the logo to pure white, meaning 100% opacity or selection. Then you can use that as a mask or selection.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Hi,
I have access to Photoshop CS3 but I am a total newb at it. I am working on redesigning a website for my parents' business. The only logo file they have is a .png. I open this up in Photoshop and I want to eliminate the white background so it doesn't block the web page background. The problem is it looks like the whole graphic is single layer. Is there any way to remove the white background so it's transparent? Thanks in advance for your kind help.

The easiest way, since you're new to Photoshop, is to select the background with the magic wand too so all the white is selected, then go to Select > Modify > Expand and choose 1 or 2 pixels (this will make your selection slightly larger, so you eliminate the chance of having a white "halo" around your logo). Next, go to Select > Inverse (this will change it so all of the logo is now selected). In the Layers palette, double-click the "Background" layer and click "OK". Now click the Add Layer Mask button at the bottom of the Layer palette. This will make the white background appear to vanish. Now go to File > Save for the Web and save it as a GIF with the Transparency box checked.

Good luck.

nyutnyut

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
if you're having this much trouble with basics like this, your parents or whoever, should hire a designer.

this is the equivalent of saying you'll build someone a car, and asking how to screw something on.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
if you're having this much trouble with basics like this, your parents or whoever, should hire a designer.

this is the equivalent of saying you'll build someone a car, and asking how to screw something on.

It's entirely possible that he knows a lot about HTML but not much about Photoshop, so there's no need to be rude. Perhaps you should just follow every parent's advice and not say anything at all.

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
PA

You should pull the stick out of your butt. People like you don't deserve the oxygen you breath.

For everyone else, thanks for your advice. I will give your suggestions a shot.

nyutnyut

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
It's entirely possible that he knows a lot about HTML but not much about Photoshop, so there's no need to be rude. Perhaps you should just follow every parent's advice and not say anything at all.

how is this rude? this would be my suggestion to anyone who needed PROFESSIONAL help with their BUSINESS website.

if someone i knew was having a problem like this, i wouldn't say, see if you can find someone who doesn't do this for a living, to help you with a possibly important business sales and marketing tool.

i'd tell them to talk to a professional web designer.

grow up both of you, and learn to take some criticism from people who might actually be able to help you out, by telling you the truth.

you might think i'm being hurtful or "uptight" but you never know how your parents business could actually be hurt with something like this not done right.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
how is this rude? this would be my suggestion to anyone who needed PROFESSIONAL help with their BUSINESS website.

if someone i knew was having a problem like this, i wouldn't say, see if you can find someone who doesn't do this for a living, to help you with a possibly important business sales and marketing tool.

grow up both of you, and learn to take some criticism from people who might actually be able to help you out, by telling you the truth.

you might think i'm being hurtful or "uptight" but you never know how your parents business could actually be hurt with something like this not done right.

Okaaaaaaaaaaay...

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003

Have you seen most business websites? Local business websites aren't full CSS with 800 graphics. It's so people looking for your contact info can google your store's name and get directions and what the store is about.

Spending professional money on a site that is likely to see 20-50 unique visitors a month is a waste.

nyutnyut

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
Have you seen most business websites? Local business websites aren't full CSS with 800 graphics. It's so people looking for your contact info can google your store's name and get directions and what the store is about.

Spending professional money on a site that is likely to see 20-50 unique visitors a month is a waste.

if you think you need a complicated, high end web site to look professional, then i don't know what to say to you.

there are many good designers that will work within a small business's budget, to give them something that looks good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.