Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
I'm hearing a constant background noise on the earpiece when talking to people. It's like a constant sssshhhhhhh or like changing the channel to a station you don't have and getting the "snow" (w/out digital cable box). It does not drown out the person talking but it's annoying. Decreasing the volume to half removes it somewhat but it's still there.

To test this, I put the SIM in my old phone and called the same people and it did not have this noise.

I've asked friends who have the iphone if they also get that and they don't.

Any suggestions, tips, and/or advice?

Update: it sounds crystal clear when outside or there is some background noise going on in the environment that I'm in. But when in a quiet room the noise is there.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2004
California
I've had somewhat of the same problem. Both on my and some people I talk to say they can hear it to. I've debated what to do, I don't really want to take it back since there is nothing else wrong with it really. Any thoughts any one?

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
I've had somewhat of the same problem. Both on my and some people I talk to say they can hear it to. I've debated what to do, I don't really want to take it back since there is nothing else wrong with it really. Any thoughts any one?

Does it occur all the time? Test it out by going outside where there is some other noises going on behind you. It seems like it doesn't occur in these conditions for me...only in quiet rooms. But I need to test this further to be certain.

Maui

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2007
The stock headphones/microphone produce a lot of noise when used in a car, or so I was told by several callers. I switched to a BT headset and the problem went away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.