Background noise elimination, please look into my thread : ) !!!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by igmolinav, Sep 2, 2008.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Garage Band voice recording - How do I eliminate the "Shh, sShh" in the background ??

Hi,

I just did a voice-recording using iTunes, iMic, and an external mic.
    The recording sounds fine except for an intense "shh, ssHh, sShh"
    sound in the recording's background. (So, imagine you hear a
    recording (or a pocast) where someone is speaking and then you
    hear at the same time a "shh, sHH, shh" sound. It becomes
    annoying).

Please let me know how I could clean the recording, or how could
    I record in such a way that I don't have that "effect" on the
    recording.

In advance many thanks : ) !!!

igmolinav

2. cschreppel macrumors regular

What is your physical setup? Do you have a makeshift vocal booth or are you recording in "open air", so to speak? Also, are you applying any effects or other processing to your track?

That being said, there are two things I would recommend:

1. Make yourself a mini vocal booth to avoid unwanted room tone and reflections coming into your microphone. Something like this can be made fairly inexpensively: http://digitalprosound.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=89503

2. Add some sort of absorptive material behind you. Blankets draped across microphone stands are a quick fix and usually work pretty well so long as they're not too thin.

This should help reduce a significant amount of background noise. If you are still experiencing issues, you may want to try a higher quality microphone such as one of these USB mics: http://www.sweetwater.com/c981--USB_Mics

I personally recommend the Røde Podcaster. Sounds fantastic and will increase the quality of your recordings.

Good luck!

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

4. cschreppel macrumors regular

After taking a look at the iMic, your problem could just be unwanted USB noise that's not getting filtered out. Mini-jack connections can prove to be a little tricky when used in conjunction with mics. Do you have a separate preamp that you're running the mic into and THEN in to the iMic or just straight in?

Also, what mic are you using?

5. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

I use an ibook G4 with Garage Band, iMic, and the following mic:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=17&Go.y=12&Go=submit

The way i have it set up is: The computer, and then iMic connected through USB port to the computer. The microphone is connected to iMic.

I record in an isolated room. Yeah, the sound is more like a "hiss". Actually, I have heard it as well in some of my audio books when I listen to the dialogues. However, in them, it is definitely barely perceivable. Perhaps it is worth mentioning it, the "hiss" I talk about is ONLY perceived, whether in my recordings or in my audiobooks when there is dialogue. When the narrators pause, there is no "hiss". It is only perceivable to a lesser or greater degree when the narrator utters.

Thank you very much, kind regards,

igmolinav.

P.S. I also have a small ART brand preamp that I have never used because I have been using iMic that has no knobs and therefore simpler to use. The model I have is the TUBE MP studio, (this website version may be slightly different to the one I have):
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/257221-REG/ART_TUBE_MP_STUDIO_V3_Tube_MP_Studio_V3.html

6. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Would you please look into my last post to see if it helps in anyway ??

Thank you,

igmolinav

7. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

might sound silly, but if you're using something like the snowball mic would I need to stick my head in the box to get the best sound or is it a way it can be done otherwise?

8. cschreppel macrumors regular

No, you wouldn't need to do that. The mic should pick you up just fine. The box is there to facilitate extraneous room tone from getting into the mic. You may need to speak into the box from a close distance, but you don't need to stick your head in there :)