background refresh question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edge1978, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 6S, I got it on Saturday 11/21 and the first thing I did was turn off background refresh for everything, however Facebook is still showing up in the battery with Background activity at 1.1 hours. Is there another option I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

There's been a few threads about FB and it's battery sucking practices... No solutions yet, that I've seen. Other than removing the app...

C

3. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was something I missed

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Nope. What's happening is that it's playing a silent sound file in the background in order to keep the app awake. For what purpose FB is keeping the app awake I forget, but that is what's going on.

FB still hasn't fixed it.

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

No reason to turn off BAR ... you are basically somewhat crippling your iPhone's functionalities while you are not gaining almost any battery life since FB is a battery hog regardless of BAR setting.

6. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

In any scenario, or just in Facebook's case?

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

In any scenario .... Facebook is just an example of a bad coded app, but BAR is a good feature that could be useful for many apps.

8. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

OK, I have just turned it on for everything, going to keep a close eye on my battery!

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I did some empiric tests on BAR since its introduction and the difference between having it on or off was just a few minutes .... totally irrelevant.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Basically all applications have the ability to run in the background (at least for a bit of time usually after they have been used), BAR is just one aspect of when and how often some apps could do somethings in the background, but it doesn't change the ability of an app to actually run in the background as that is a built-in ability from from the OS that is not controllable by the user (short or closing an app after using it or not using it at all).

11. HEK, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

HEK Suspended

HEK

I use it selectively on particular apps that I desire background refresh. For instance I have background updates turned on for all my content blocking apps, which I love by the way. Thank You Apple. Most apps I am perfectly happy to have them refresh when I open them. Nice part each person can adjust to their own liking. Except for the purposefully coded apps that force a stay open state.

I disagree saying these tracking apps are poorly coded. They are coded exactly as the company wants them coded. That's why the fixes promised are taking so long. They have to figure a fix that still lets them track you. They are tracking your movements, and other phone uses to sell to other people. Google makes there money this way as does Facebook. I don't like it so I don't use Facebook, and as little of Google as I can. My phone, my life, my privacy, my choice. On top of having my privacy violated, I also am upset that my battery is being used and data I buy is being used by these companies without them paying me for it. Data is not cheap and each time the radios are used to report what I am doing or where I am at I feel Facebook and Google reaching into my wallet.

Close Facebook when done using it. Reload it again when you use it. Anything you missed will be updated at the reload. Sure it's convenient to leave it open. Question is more convenient for you or Facebook.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I get great battery life on my 6 with BAR turned off, and I don't really see any advantages of having it on. It's true that it doesn't help with the Facebook issue though.

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It would probably be great even with BAR turned on ....

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Yeah, it is still pretty good. But why have BAR on when it really doesn't do anything for me?

15. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Have you considered adjusting which apps have access to your location if you're worried about being tracked?

16. HEK, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015

HEK Suspended

HEK

I certainly have, and done more than consider it, have taken action. For instance why would a game need my locations? I selectively allow location for things that benefit me. And only when they are being used, not in background. Others I turn off location completely. Most system services location items are turned off. Not only does this reduce who has access to my location but also reduces radio use both in GPS location and in cellular transmissions to send out that information, thereby extending my battery reserves. That also reduces my data usage, which I pay for and not the businesses and organizations that would consume it tracking my moves and selling that information.

17. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Very good. I've similarly limited my phone's location services. I agree with you about privacy and extending battery life, but I doubt it makes a significant difference in data. Unless you're using Maps for directions, most apps don't transmit that much data in the background.