background streaming podcast itunes app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevinf1990, Aug 23, 2011.

1. kevinf1990 macrumors member

Hi i don't know if its always like this but this morning i was streaming a podcast off the itunes app by tapping the title rather than the free button. it started to stream but when i went to check email by pressing the home button, the playback of the podcast stops. is this normal behavior? anyone else having this problem? thanks

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

try downcast. it fully supports playing in the background while streaming.

3. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Start the podcast.

Press the home button and it will stop.

Double tap the home button, swipe the multi tasking tray to the right, and hit play.

Works with YouTube, iTunes, safari swell.

Also on iPad.

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

It used to be able to stream a podcast in the background fine. But Apple has changed it recently, somehow, and it no longer does.

5. kevinf1990, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

I guess this is a good work-around. It's weird that apple would stop this feature. is there anyway to manually seek through the streaming podcast using this method?

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

This isn't a work around. This is how your stream content in the background.

To skim through a podcast, or youtube video whilst its streaming in the background, you can either use the iPod controls in the multi-tasking bar, or go back to the app, iTunes or Youtube, and skim through.

Its a great way to multitask.

Last night I listened to the Radiohead basement sessions on youtube, whilst browsing the web.

When I went back to Youtube, the video picks up at the part I was listening to. :)

7. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

well the way i see it is if you can't just press the home button to have it play it the background like the ipod app then it is kind of a work around.
    so if i want to skim through a podcast using the itunes app, i would have to use the multitasking tray? since there is no "now playing" type screen in itunes right?

8. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Well ok, you need to press one more button than you should have to, so I guess it is kind of a work around.

I think Apple wants the home button to ALWAYS get you to the home screen and stop media like youtube and itunes.

I understand this isnt what you always want to happen, but its just how it works at the moment :)

Yeah, the itunes app does have a now playing screen. On the iPhone it should go full screen, and look similar to the iPod now playing screen, but without any album art.

9. kevinf1990 thread starter macrumors member

Really? When I tap a podcast to stream it just gives me the little circle with the stop button in the middle like previewing q song. It doesnt take me to a now playing screen. What could be the problem?

10. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Come to find out, its not every podcast but just a few separate ones. Here is a link to a discussion on apple's site.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3273943?start=0&tstart=0
    I've tested it out on Adam Carolla's podcast. It failed. But if I tried Joe Rogan podcast, it worked correctly like it used to. Seems its individual.