Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I've read there is an app called "disable ios 4 multitasking"

Once installed it will totally get rid of multitasking and you can go back to the good old days of just using backgrounder when you want something running in the background.

Who here wants to take this route? I'm thinking this is the way to go, but I'd love to hear some other opinions on the matter.

Also if you do install the disable app would this possibly effect anything else on the iPhone 4 that might hurt the overall performance of the device???

Thanks guys!

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
I won't be doing this as all I remember from running Backgrounder on my 3GS is that it completely ruined the battery life, I prefer Apples way of multitasking even if the majority of the apps haven't been updated to support it yet

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I won't be doing this as all I remember from running Backgrounder on my 3GS is that it completely ruined the battery life, I prefer Apples way of multitasking even if the majority of the apps haven't been updated to support it yet

I'm hoping with the better battery in the iP4 it won't be so much of an issue.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm just going to downgrade back to 3.1.3 tonight :) You can call me TheSpaz 2.0

I almost spit my water out when reading that! HAHA where is that Spaz anyhow?

I'm still having a hard time deciding if I want to truly get rid of Apple's multitasking.

Can background and multitasking and SBSettings Process tab live all together in perfect harmony? lol

drwprtcht

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2007
Texas
I'm thinking about getting rid of the multitasking. I don't really see a use for it, as I don't use Skype or Pandora or anything. Has anyone done it?

bengtc

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I've read there is an app called "disable ios 4 multitasking"

Once installed it will totally get rid of multitasking and you can go back to the good old days of just using backgrounder when you want something running in the background.

Who here wants to take this route? I'm thinking this is the way to go, but I'd love to hear some other opinions on the matter.

Also if you do install the disable app would this possibly effect anything else on the iPhone 4 that might hurt the overall performance of the device???

Thanks guys!
I want to go this route but there are no app switchers that are currently compatible with ios4..Circuitous or proswitcher..

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I almost spit my water out when reading that! HAHA where is that Spaz anyhow?

Banned in May :( Don't worry though, I'm ready to take on his responsibilities. There is no way I am going to update to iOS4.anything at all once my downgrade goes through in about 20 minutes :)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Can background and multitasking and SBSettings Process tab live all together in perfect harmony? lol

Yes, in fact, with Backgrounder you can control exactly how you want each app to be backgrounded. But even better, Backgrounder can enable native multitasking even for apps that don't yet support it! It's really quite nifty.

Here's what I've done:

1) Installed Remove Recents from Cydia. This removes all apps from the task bar that aren't actually using multitasking.

2) Installed Backgrounder. Set global multitasking to "Native." Now fast app switching is enabled for all App Store apps.

3) Created exceptions for apps like Clock, Calendar, etc. so that they never multitask.

If I want to fully close a native or App Store app for which I haven't created an exception (for instance, if I want to close Settings so it will start at the main menu next time it is opened), I just use a short hold to disable multitasking, effectively closing it.

If I want to background a Cydia app, I use a short hold to enable backgrounding. Note: I could set Cydia apps to background by default, or set individual Cydia apps to do so, but I prefer to manually control non-native multitasking, since it is so battery-intensive.

bengtc

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I just want an app switcher to work for ios4... I get sick of all the clutter on apples default app switcher. every app you open stays on there unless you clear it.

longstrider

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2009
I just want an app switcher to work for ios4... I get sick of all the clutter on apples default app switcher. every app you open stays on there unless you clear it.

Read the post just above yours. Remove Recents, from Cydia, works wonders.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I was thinking about doing this, but when I realized none of the app switchers in Cydia have been updated for iOS 4 support, I decided I'm sticking with Apple's way.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
I'm definitely staying with Apple on this. I'll think about the Remove Recents package if it's not too big a horse to run, but I think Apple will suit my needs best, which is battery life and no more settings to mess with (which Backgrounder would definitely bring). It's kind of like my texting dilemma: either I can get Bite/iReal SMS with a big ol' package that will let me customize the crap out of my texting experience (some people want this), or I can merely get the small and seamless QuickReply package that gives me MOST of what I think Apple's app lacks in and integrates with native experience and minimal effort...personally, I prefer the less demanding package.
I think Backgrounder vs. Apple's multitask is like this issue...customizability vs. simplicity

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
If I want to background a Cydia app, I use a short hold to enable backgrounding. Note: I could set Cydia apps to background by default, or set individual Cydia apps to do so, but I prefer to manually control non-native multitasking, since it is so battery-intensive.

awesome instructions, i just have a question regarding what i quoted from you. i tried to background cydia by short hold, it says 'backgrounding disabled'. when i close cydia by just pressing home button, checked the task bar, cydia isnt in there.

what other settings are you using in the global? in backgrounding state and miscellaneous?

thanks!

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
awesome instructions, i just have a question regarding what i quoted from you. i tried to background cydia by short hold, it says 'backgrounding disabled'. when i close cydia by just pressing home button, checked the task bar, cydia isnt in there.

what other settings are you using in the global? in backgrounding state and miscellaneous?

thanks!

Cydia and Cydia apps cannot be backgrounded using the native method. I suggest you create an override for Cydia and set it to use Backgrounder. You can turn off "Enable at Start" in the override, then it will only background when you ask it to.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
I would just add it's not a good idea to background Cydia. There's a reason Saurik didn't implement fast app switching. When Cydia is running it takes ownership of certain files. If you use another jailbreak program that tries to use or modify those files it can create all sorts of errors. It's best to make sure Cydia always closes.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
Cydia and Cydia apps cannot be backgrounded using the native method. I suggest you create an override for Cydia and set it to use Backgrounder. You can turn off "Enable at Start" in the override, then it will only background when you ask it to.

If I wanted multitasking control to this degree, I'd do what you have. Nice setup.

Kayan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
CA
I would just add it's not a good idea to background Cydia. There's a reason Saurik didn't implement fast app switching. When Cydia is running it takes ownership of certain files. If you use another jailbreak program that tries to use or modify those files it can create all sorts of errors. It's best to make sure Cydia always closes.

Very useful comment, haha where in the world can you learn this stuff? You in tight with Saurik?

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Very useful comment, haha where in the world can you learn this stuff? You in tight with Saurik?

Haha no I don't know him at all. Programming experience, jailbreaking experience and comments made by saurik and co. You pick things up quickly.

bengtc

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Read the post just above yours. Remove Recents, from Cydia, works wonders.

Thanks! I just installed it. I globally turned of multitasking in backgrounder, then added overrides to the apps I want running in the background. So using the apple task switcher I only get apps that are running and no more clutter! Its like Circuitous on 3.x.x

Benji222

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2009
So Cal
Is there a way to use apples multi tasking with apps you want and have nothing else back grounded.
I want nothing to do with backgrounder.

bengtc

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
^^ yes but you have to use backgrounder, but in the settings you can select native backgrounding(which is apples multitasking)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, in fact, with Backgrounder you can control exactly how you want each app to be backgrounded. But even better, Backgrounder can enable native multitasking even for apps that don't yet support it! It's really quite nifty.

Here's what I've done:

1) Installed Remove Recents from Cydia. This removes all apps from the task bar that aren't actually using multitasking.

2) Installed Backgrounder. Set global multitasking to "Native." Now fast app switching is enabled for all App Store apps.

3) Created exceptions for apps like Clock, Calendar, etc. so that they never multitask.

If I want to fully close a native or App Store app for which I haven't created an exception (for instance, if I want to close Settings so it will start at the main menu next time it is opened), I just use a short hold to disable multitasking, effectively closing it.

Very good info.
I didn't know about that remove recents package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.