Backgrounder.....and iOS 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by m3coolpix, Dec 28, 2011.

1. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Just updated my iP4 from 4.2.1 JB'n, to 5.0.1 JB'n. Everything seems to be running smoothly (knocks on wood).

On 4.2.1 (and iOS versions previous), I used Backgrounder to not only background the apps I wanted backgrounded (radio streaming apps mostly), but also to auto kill most apps once I exited them, to keep the most available memory. Also used Remove Recents to keep the iOS task switcher cleared.

I know I don't have to do this with iOS 4 & 5....but it still seems that iOS 5 keeps apps open until the memory's low/gone and then it stops the 'lower priority' apps to allocate memory for the new 'opening' app.

Any others still using Backgrounder and Remove Recents to keep memory clear on iOS 5?

Comments, suggestions, any new app recommendations to help with this?

Thanks in advance!

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

as far as I know backgrounder isn't working yet for 5.0. the Dev stopped working on it and it's now open source.

3. m3coolpix thread starter macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Hmm....

Backgrounder-for-ios-5

Several Google links from other iDevice forums are showing mixed results on the 'beta' version updated for iOS 5.

Don't know if I want to risk a restore on it.....

Anyone? :D

4. Fantasigraphic macrumors 65816

You can use MultiCleaner with Backgrounder and set it up to close and remove apps from the task bar.

HOWEVER I found a hugh bug in Backgrounder for ios5. If you power down or Reboot after installing an app; then open any app you get the 1/4 size screen. Fix for it is to Safe Mode In/Out. Until a true fix this becomes annoying.

5. Dansco macrumors newbie

Not working for iOS5? I've had it on my iPad 1 5.0 (now 5.0.1) for months... It's only in Alpha but works ok ;)

6. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

How is it on 5.0?? The description says it supports 5.0

I want to use it to listen to my WatchESPN app instead of having to keep the app open to wacth the actual video, I would rather hear it

7. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I tried it out with mixed results. If you use it with the Forced option ON, there is a bug when you switch apps from the app switcher that will leave the previous app open. So let's say you switch from Music to Mail via the app switcher. Then you close mail by hitting the home button. Instead of going to the sprinboard, you'll be back at the Music app which is somehow still open. If you hit Home again, thinking it might close Music, it does not. You have to go into music by opening the app switcher again and picking music. Then hit the Home button. Toggling the minimize feature in Backgrounder had no effect on this bug, it persisted anyway. So if you don't use the app switcher often, then this may not trouble you.

The only way I could get rid of the bug is to turn OFF "Enable at Launch," but as soon as I re-background an app by an activator gesture, the original problem comes back.

In Native mode however the "fast app switching," option works perfectly and does make app switching faster. I like this so I may end up keeping this tweak.

I do have about a dozen other tweaks installed, it's possible that something else is interfering with Backgrounder but I'm not sure. Tweaks that come to mind which involve app switcher mods/backgrounding are:

1. Direct Control
    2. Switcher Mod
    3. Multifl0w
    4. Zephyr

8. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

You're wasting your time, and probably using more battery than necessary, by constantly killing your apps. When an app is suspended, it is not using any resources. Any speed up you think you get is a placebo. iOS will release memory when you need it. Backgrounder doesn't have a real use nowadays.

9. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Remove Backgrounder works very well on 5.0.1... Available through Cydia...

10. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

I don't kill my apps but I like being able to open an app faster. The Backgrounder function for fast app switching isn't just a faster animation, it also saves app state which is important to me. I agree with you though, killing apps frequently does waste battery and the entire Backgrounder app on a whole is not something that is really needed after iOS 5.

11. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

backgrounder for the way I use it conflicts with Siri now :(

12. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

Then change the Activation toggle, unless you mean something else.

13. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I know you can do that, but using backgrounder for years with other devices using the hold in home button as the launching to background, it would be weird to me mapping it elsewhere.

14. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Oh brother! Then map Siri somewhere else, but I think that would just be wrong. You know if you do something 30 times you'll create a new habit? I think you'll get over the home button jitters soon enough!

15. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I (still) use Backgrounder to play videos in the background (via tv-out cable to my car's screen for the kids to watch) while I use my iphone as a GPS. Pretty valuable use for me these days...