Backing just came off

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by menace3, Jan 30, 2016.

1. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

I just got up out of bed. Went to wash my face and then back into the bedroom to get dressed. I reached for my watch and the backing came off. It was on the charger and all I did was take it off.

No swimming, never any water contact. Nada.

So now what? Apple has made me addicted to my watch, so do i have to send it in for repairs and be without? Can I exchange in store?

This happen to anyone else?

Attached Files:

2. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Wow that's horrible. Not sure but did you purchase apple care +?

3. dooku77 macrumors member

dooku77

If it's still within 1 year warranty bring it in.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

There have been several posts of exactly the same failure. You have had yours for a while, right? If so, that is disheartening, because it would mean that the glue defect could happen any time and not when the watch is relatively new still.

5. menace3, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016

menace3 thread starter macrumors 6502

menace3

Have had it since April 29, 2015. And yes have AppleCare +. It was 1st gen and I'm very active so I was not taking chances. Just want to know if i can get a new one or do I have to send away for repair?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, the OP never subject it to water. It's quite possible that if the glue was defective from the beginning it would have failed earlier had it been exposed to water. In fact, I recommend doing a "water stress test" when getting the AW. Simply place it in a glass of water for 15 minutes or so. A glue defect would quickly reveal itself.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 30, 2016 ---
    Arrange for express replacement. You will likely not be able to swap it out in store as they do not stock white box replacements for the AW across the board.

7. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Yuck! Sorry that has happened to you. I have seen posts by many others with the same issue that it started to make me wonder if it is just a matter of time for many more backs to fall off. :(

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...and if he/she has had it over a year?:D:D

9. menace3 thread starter macrumors 6502

menace3

It was released April 24, 2015. How would over a year be possible right now?

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It was a sarcastic remark, as nobody has had the AW for over a year and thus it's pointless to ask if it's still within the 1-year warranty.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just call and they will overnight you a refurbed watch

12. menace3 thread starter macrumors 6502

menace3

Yep..after being told I could do this at the Apple Store and finding out no. I called Apple and one is being overnighted and then i will send the broken one back. Grrr.

On a positive note, guess I'm pulling out the Movado watch tonight

13. dooku77 macrumors member

dooku77

Don't know. Reglue I guess? I buy AppleCare for all my stuff. Even if op was an early purchaser in April or May, it's still under warranty.