Backing Up 2 Computers To 1 NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by R.Youden, Nov 6, 2014.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    I have a NAS connected to my home network and I want to be able to backup my desktop and laptop computer to that one drive. On my laptop I just have my standard drive whilst on my desktop I have 3 mounted drives (my applications & docs on an SSD, my movies & TV shows on a HDD and my photos on another HDD) so in all I have 4 drives to back up.

I've been looking at something like Carbon Copy Clone, if I partition my NAS into 5 blocks (4 the same size as my main dives and 1 spare) will I just be able to perform automated backups onto the NAS?

Finally if I add a Bootcamp drive will I be able to back that up via CCC?

Thanks guys.
  2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Feb 10, 2008
    You don't have to partition the drive as CCC can backup to sub folders and you can set maximim backup folder size. If you intend to make a bootable backup, then a partition for that may be better, the other partition would contain the rest of the backups.

You can schedule backups to run automatically on hourly, daily, weekly, monthly type schedule. I use CCC to backup 5 drives to a single drive, each on a separate schedule. Each drive has its backup folder.

Not sure about bootcamp, but CCC has a number of FAQs on their web site I think.