Backing up 4 TB!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nordsted, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Nordsted macrumors newbie

Hi!
    I'm about to buy the Mac Pro with 4 TB and the Raid Card (among other things). I'm gonna use it to create video with Adobe Premiere Pro.
    It is possible that i need additional storage, and I'm definitely gonna want back-up!
    How do I go about that? My first thougt was several harddrives in some sort of tower or case that i can connect via a firewire connection.

Any thoughts are welcome, experience even more!

Thanks!

2. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

Yes, there are many Drobo like external devices that will hold 4 disks and connect via esata, fw800, etc...

alternaively, depending on your needs and what equipment you already have, is to load another computer with your 4tb software raid and do your backups by gigabit ethernet...

if you have the money to lay out for the mac pro with 4tb and raid card, then you can probably afford an easy on-site backup solution.

things get more painful when going off-site.

3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I personally would favor something like a drobo, but another tower with a software raid would work too. Still, for the price of bulding the tower, a drobo is much more awesome, and looks cleaner too.

4. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

If eventually you will be wanting to back up 4TB then you will also be wanting to expand that 4Tb and the back up. I would look for something that will give you seamless HD upgrading and speed. 4TB is a lot of backup.

5. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

It sounds to me like you need yourself a ReadyNAS Pro, with 6x1.5TB, or 6x2TB, HDs.

That would be much faster than any Drobo, even compared to the DroboPro. My Pro (w. 6x1TB Samsung F1s), reads and writes around 100MB/s.

KB