Backing up a Bootable Clone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LazyCarrot, May 30, 2009.

1. LazyCarrot macrumors newbie

If I create Bootable Clone on a firewire drive,
    and have that Bootable Clone backed up using standard data backup routines to (say) a remote on-line server...
    Then come the time I need to restore the Bootable Clone would i, in fact, have a Bootable Clone or would the store/restore routines have destroyed its Bootability?

In short, can I use store/restore routines to backup a Bootable Clone?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The bootable clone is by definition the same as your normal system, so you should be able to back it up in the same way.

I made a 74-part DMG copy of my hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, which I've uploaded to my web host. Took a while since they're 1 GB apiece, but if I re-download all of them I should be able to clone them back. I really, really hope I don't have to do that, though, since I'm on a residential connection right now and doing so would take 7 days running 24/7, but the backup is there if I need it.

Also because if I had to use my off-site backup it would mean either my computer and backup drive had been stolen, or my house had burned down with them inside.

3. LazyCarrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback Blue

Yes, there is something of a parodox in all this. If I need to access the backup of a bootable clone then the computer i want to boot from it is unavailable for me to download the backup in the first place...
    And as you pointed out the thing about disaster recovery is that you're probably going to be more concerned about the repercussions of the disaster than you are worrying about recovery :eek:

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain though i have the notion that a 'bootable clone' has to be held on a drive contiguously, and i'm concerned that on recovery, even if i'd cleaned out the hard drive into one big empty space, it might not restore it in the exact format that it was created in (extra file headers or some such).
    However I've googled my brain to a cinder and can't find any reference to my supposed theory so maybe I just made it up!

It's not the kind of thing I really want to do a 'suck it and see' experiment on - my mac is working fine and i have no intention of breaking it just to see if i can get it working again! So if anyone can substantiate or denounce my concerns i'll be able to sleep easy tonight.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If you're using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, then yes, your clone will be restored exactly the same as you left it.

Personally, while there is no way I could afford to replace my computer if it were destroyed, I would be far more put out about the loss of my photo library and design portfolio than about my computer.

5. LazyCarrot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the confirmation - and for your time

Much appreciated