Backing up a Developer Preview?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by petrucci666, Aug 22, 2013.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I haven't done a Time Machine backup ever since I installed DP1 some months ago now. I have collected some quite valuable files since then but luckily haven't had any data loss issues. I'd like to make a Time Machine backup but don't know whether it's advised since we're still in Beta testing.

If I backup DP6 now, will I have problems later? Compatibility issues perhaps?

Thank you!

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

There is no harm in using time machine or CCC on the DP.
    I use both without issues.
    You won't have problems as long as you move forward and not try to use a DP backup with 10.8.

3. petrucci666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I appreciate the help, thanks!

4. thomaskc macrumors 6502

How well does the time machine compress your files?

I have a stable 10.8.5 build installed and I think/kind of know I will need it for work later too. How ever if I was to run a time machine backup on it all (I assume I need a fairly big external disc) and then install Mavericks.. It should just be strait forward to roll back should I need to correct?

(p.s. I have 30 years of PC/microsoft knowledge and use and like 1 year of the apple way of doing things, so ive got no clue).

Thanks! :D

5. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Time machine will not backup the OS it self, so no. You would need to reinstall 10.8.5 and restore a TM backup to that install.

6. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Oh... well thats good to know.. makes things way less convenient :p thanks

7. Judith123 macrumors member

Go ahead! If you want to backup with Time Machine, you'd better get an external hard drive to backup. That would be easier. :)

8. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

What are you talking about, and does your claim only apply to DPs? Because as far as I know from experience on retail versions of OS X, Time Machine does backup the OS. The backup isn't a 100% copy of everything on the drive, but you can restore your computer from a Time Machine backup and all you loose in the process is your recovery partition, which can be recreated by either re-installing the OS on top of the restored TM backup, or by other more complicated procedures. So, are you claiming you cannot restore from a DP backup?

Also, it would be nice if Apple finally fixed the way TM backups/restores work so that it includes the recovery partition during a restore, that way everything is back in order without further tweaks needed. I've emailed Apple about this, and so should everyone reading this!

----------

I'm not sure what that poster is claiming. So far as I know you can restore your computer from a TM backup, with minor loses that are resolvable rather easily.