Backing Up A Jailbroken Phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Excellerator, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I just have a few questions on backing up a jailbroken phone....

1) If you use Itunes does it still backup everything even the jailbroken stuff? I realize you have to go to the original firmware when a new version is out, and the re-jailbreak but would all the settings be intact?

2) If you then decide to unjailbreak can you restore back and still keep all the contact/app data/sms data as a normal backup would? Assuming it just ignores the jailbroken apps and settings.

Thanks in advance for answering......

2. hchavarria macrumors 6502

If i'm not mistaken, when you backup none of the jailbroken stuff is actually backedup. There is an app in Cydia called AptBackup but all this actually does is backup your list of installed apps from Cydia so that if you need to rejailbrake it will auto install all the apps from Cydia again once you restore your backup from iTunes, none of the settings or themes are actually backed up.

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

iTunes does not backup any of the Jailbroken apps or settings. If you decide to go back to a non-Jailbroken phone then yes, you can restore your settings and apps back to their original state.

4. Excellerator thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Definitely use AptBackup.

Unless of course, you would rather start over with your customizations. If you're happy with your current set-up though, AptBackup will save a list of your Cydia apps, and re-download them again after a restore.

Anything that you manually install via SSH though, will need to be manually installed again.

6. Macgic macrumors 6502

actually it does back up some of your settings. i had make it mine and i still had the custom banner when i went restored to my backup.

7. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Did you restore while being in DFU mode?

8. csmitty macrumors regular

When I restored from JB 2.0.x to 2.1 my battery icon could still be changed to a numeric. That was restoring from a back up while JB, so.....somethings get saved it seems.