Backing up a NAS (My Book World)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevemiller, May 23, 2011.

1. stevemiller macrumors 68000

So I have a nice little portable drive for running time machine on my mbp, but I prefer to keep all my photos and videos on a network-attached 'my book world'.

Time Machine, to my knowledge, doesn't see the NAS for backing up its contents. I've sort of cobbled together a solution where I have a second drive plugged into the NAS's usb expansion port, and I've set up an automator folder action so whenever I put something into the NAS' pictures folder, it runs rsync to maintain an up-to-date duplicate of the folder on the attached USB drive.

Seems like a good solution except for a few things:

-Perhaps it's because i'm running rsync over the network on a giant library of photos, but it is SLOOOOOOOW to calculate the changes. To the point of it'd usually be much quicker for me to just copy the new photos into the backup myself.

-Folder actions are flakey in that they don't check sub folders, and they don't recognize modified or deleted files, just new ones added. I'd try to set up a time-intervalled backup, but I don't want to have to remember to have my computer on and connected to the NAS at some specific time. The folder action is appealing because it takes care of the backup when I'm already using the NAS

Does anyone else have experience with this type of backing up or have any good solutions that are relatively automated and painless?

Thanks for any advice!

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I think you can make a sparebundle image on the NAS, and have it scripted to automount of boot. Then have Time Machine back up into there.

3. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 68000

blevins321, thanks for the suggestions, but to clarify, i'm looking to back up things that are on my NAS, not using the NAS as a backup drive itself.

Maybe I should just try to write a less intelligent script that doesn't truly sync two drives, but just mimics copy operations so when I copy a file to the NAS, it also copies the file to the NAS's backup?