Backing up after installing Data Doubler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prasadvenkatram, Jul 7, 2013.

1. prasadvenkatram macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2013
    HI all,
    I have a Macbook Pro 15" 8,2 with a 750GB HDD.
    I am going to get a 256GB SSD and a 1TB HDD in the optibay using Data Doubler.
    I have gone through a lot of videos and guides to perform this install, and also on how to maintain OS and Apps on SSD and all data on HDD

As of now I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable backup of my HDD.

After I make the modification to my MBP and use 2 Drives I will still be using CCC for backups.

Question is
    1) When I use the SSD + HDD combo, do I need to run 2 backups (1for OS and stuff from SSD and one for data from HDD)

2) Do I ideally partition the External HDD into 2 and use 1 for SSD and 1 for HDD?

What would be the best backup solution once I have the dual drive thing on my MBP?

Does anyone know of any guides for this? Would be a lot of help as I have not been able to find any from my searches.

2. Doward macrumors 6502a

Feb 21, 2013
    Why not use a network attached storage system via Time Machine? If you've got an old computer somewhere, it's easy as pie!

3. prasadvenkatram thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 7, 2013
    Went through the Video, Thanks for your suggestion.

It is a good option, but I am on a laptop and move around quite a bit. As in different cities for long periods of time. So I just carry a large external Drive to make sure my backups are up to date.

Would be really glad to get a backup solution based on 1 MBP + 1 Ext Drive (2TB) using CCC