Backing Up After Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Mike4AU, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Mike4AU macrumors member

I am still undecided whether I want to jailbreak. One issue that confuses me is what to do about syncing and backing up after one JB's. I understand that before JBing, one should backup his/her iPad. That backup could be used to restore the iPad in the future, if something goes wrong with the JB or if one needs to go to the Genius Bar about a problem with the iPad (to put the iPad in a pre-JB state).

I understand that iTunes keeps only one backup copy. Well, what does one do about backing up after JBing? How about syncing?

Thanks for any help.

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

1. iTunes does not keep only 1 backup.
    2. The iTunes backup does not backup any jb apps. It can't since it doesn't know about them.
    3. If you'd have to take an iDevice to Apple for service, simply do a Factory restore.
    4. Syncing is 100% unaffected by jb.

3. Mike4AU thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info! I guess I was wrong about iTunes keeping only one backup. I thought I read that somewhere.

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

When you do a Restore, you can click on the file that shows as the default (usually labeled 'So and So's iPad') and you should see a list of all past backups with dates, although I'm not sure why anyone would want to restore from an older backup, but it's possible.