iPad Backing up ALL my stuff before upgrading?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sneak3, Aug 31, 2012.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hello!

I'd like to upgrade my ipad from 4.x to the latest 5.1.1 (I guess thats the best one right?)

However, I wouldnt like to lose all my cydia stuff I downloaded over the years, nor my own configs, or apps or anything that itunes doesnt save as default.

Is there a app or tweak (even from cydia) that would allow me to copy my actual ipad and later transfer it back when the new version installed?

Thx!

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I recommend PkgBackup.

Not free, but the best by far.

I wouldn't ever use anything else having had bad experiences with the free/cheaper options.

3. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

For backing up EVERYTHING possible, I also recommend PkgBackup. But for just app store apps I always use AppBackup. Then iCloud for typical backing up and synching stock iOS data. I've had problems with PkgBackup in the past but that's because I used it when upgrading to a major iOS upgrade. So what happened was a bunch of my packages and stuff weren't compatible with the new firmware yet. So that's something to keep in mind whenever using PkgBackup. I also recommend restoring data little by little as opposed to doing everything at once. Limit any possible issues. Good luck and let us know if you have questions!

4. tkwolf macrumors 6502

I am new to iOS as well. I'm also jailbroken and is planning tp update to iOS6 once a jailbreak is available for it.

So, to be clear...what i should do is:

1.) back up my contacts etc with itunes and icloud
    2.) back up ALL my apps with itunes (non jailbreak)
    3.) back up ALL my tweaks and apps (jailbreak) with an back up app from cydia..anything you can all recommend that is free?
    4.) then update to iOS 6 and then the usual route to jailbreaking afterwards.

Is that correct?