Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jp Alcan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
Hello,

I installed a datadoubler sold OCW to my MBP 8,2 and installed a 2TB drive and encrypted the device. My first drive is a SSD 1TB

It turns that I was unable backup my drive with either TimeMachine or DataBackup 3. I called OCW and asked them for some support and their answer was WRONG and didn't make any sense!

"Based on the model computer you have the issue is more than likely a communications issue between the drive and the motherboard causing the problem. Your computer is one of those that is rated for either 3 or 6GB/s and is more than likely having an issue with the communication. "

"you may want to try replacing the sata cable. "

Actually what is happening is the second drive is not revertible. But the first primary drive is revertible and therefor can be backed up while encrypted.

internal drive will always be revertible because it knows data will need to be moved to and from your system. Any data going to or leaving your 2nd drive must first enter your Mac through the primary drive.

And therefor to be able to backup an encrypted 2nd drive using the datadoubler has to decrypted first!

Bummer!!!!!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Time Machine backs up both of my internal, encrypted drives just fine. Im not sure what you mean by 'the data on the second drive having to enter your machine by the primary drive' but on the face of it that statement is wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.