Backing up an external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gianthobbit, Oct 6, 2010.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

So I got a large 2TB usb 2.0 external hardrive which I have been ripping my DVD collection to and then playing via the new Apple TV. Works great however the collection is getting quite large and I fear what would happen if my drive fails and all is lost.

Originally I wanted to do a raid with a Drobo box or something (no idea how it works) but the way the Apple TV works the files have to be assessable through iTunes. So anyways, what is the best way to protect that drive, automated would be the best.

Thanks much!

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

get another, equally sized drive (drive B), and use e.g. Carbon Copy Cloner to incrementally back up drive A to drive B.

3. BlackViper macrumors member

Drobo's are good

I store most of my media on a Drobo, it will protect you against drive failure, is easy to expand available storage, and does not require you to know anything about RAID. The performance is not as good as most external drives but more than sufficient for streaming video. You could then use your current external for an off-site backup if you really want to protect your data.

4. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for this suggestion but as mentioned this would not work with iTunes and thus my Apple TV. I will be purchasing a new 2TB hard drive and copying over with the above software, thanks for the responses.