Backing up an Iphone without passcode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cwmseven, Jul 8, 2010.

1. cwmseven macrumors newbie

Hey all, Ive read these forum, often finding good help and advice since I got my macbook about 3 years ago, but this is my first post. I come looking for more help and have a couple of questions.

First off a few months ago my black macbook stopped charging. There was a flickering noise and I had to push the charger on tighter for awhile before eventually it stopped working. I have no idea why (any help here?) but I haven't been in dire need of a computer because I just use my roommates computer (which is awful) or my Iphone 3gs. Well I recently cracked my Iphone with a small crack on the lcd that has started to bleed from the bottom stretching to about the middle of the phone and the digitizer is practically shattered. The phone still worked fine for awhile I just had to deal with the cosmetic issues of it. I planned to grab the Iphone 4 eventually after I got my computer so I could back it up since it had been about 5-6 months since my last sinc. Yesterday I woke up and the bottom of the phone had lost sensitivity. I still could slide the unlock bar by catching the top half of my finger across it so I can still answer calls but a huge problem arose when the passcode came on. The 3 letter of my code is a 0. The Emergency Call, 0, and back/erase buttom will not work. But my phone seems to register the very bottom of the 7,8, and 9 keys. How/why would the just the bottom row not work? (any help here? How could it just stop working over one night? Just the one row?) Well I figured it isn't a big deal this just gives me an excuse to to buy the Iphone 4 I wanted anyway. So I go to hookup my phone to my roomate's computer to try and back it up before I go to buy a new phone (Can you even back up on to another computer?) and it tells me that I have to unlock the phone before I can sinc. (Is there a way I can circumvent this by entering my code on the computer somewhere?) All I want to do is backup my phone, the phone is not stolen and I know the passcode can anyone please help!? Thanks a lot guys, I look forward to hopefully a quick response.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing you can do besides sending it in to get the screen fixed.
    You wont be able to back it up on any computer without entering the full passcode.
    Thats the reason you gotta make backups more often then every 5-6 months.

3. cwmseven thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea how much that would cost? I wouldnt want to spend too much money for just a restore... It isnt a huge deal as it is mostly just 6 months of phone numbers and text conversations but It is something I dont want to lose...

It just hit me a friend has his old 3gs after he got the iPhone 4... would it be possible (assuming he is ok with it) to use move my hard drive into his phone? Would that be worth it, remembering my screen is shattered? Could anyone show a guide of how it could be done?

4. cwmseven thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

There is no hard drive to remove. It's a chip on the circuit board. It's probably encrypted anyway. Either pay to repair your screen or just skip it and use an older backup. I'd just use an old backup instead of paying for some old phone numbers and messages. :cool:

On second thought putting his screen in your phone (provided they are the same model) might be the simplest solution. You probably can just plug it in, backup your phone and put it back in his phone. Worth a try.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/iPhone_3GS

6. cwmseven thread starter macrumors newbie

Well guys turns out it was a simple fix after all, I got my Macbook fixed and plugged it in and it is syncing automatically without the code, heading out to the store to buy the iPhone 4 now I guess. Thanks to anyone that helped.