Backing Up and Moving iTunes Settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marka87uk, May 22, 2011.

1. marka87uk macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Mini and will be buying a new iMac soon.

All of my mp3's are on an external drive organised by iTunes.

What is the best way to back up all of my iTunes settings and library to transfer over to the new iMac?

When I did a fresh install of Snow Leopard on my Mini I remember I had to leave it re-importing the songs over night so I don't think I did it correctly before!

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I believe your best bet would be getting them both on the network and simply copy the itunes folder from one computer to the other. Then move all your files from your external HD into the iTunes folder on the new iMac. Make sure you change the location of your songs in itunes preferences.

If you can, connect to the network via an Ethernet cable, this will greatly speed up the process if you have a large music collection.

3. marka87uk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. The issue is not really with the music files as I'll be hooking up the external drive to the iMac.

I just need the quickest and simplest method of re-adding them to iTunes, and I'd also like to move the settings across too if possible?

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Copy the iTunes folder located in your /USER/Music from your old mac to you new mac. That will transfer over the list of your music and all the settings. It is nice and simple.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Exactly, bring over your entire iTunes folder in order to preserve playlists and ratings. You may have to tell your new computer where to find the external music in iTunes under Prefs>Advanced.

6. marka87uk thread starter macrumors newbie