Backing up and restoring apps installed via Cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hakr100, Feb 8, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I've downloaded a couple of apps via Cydia on my jailbroken 4S and they seem to be working properly.

I've noticed, however, that when I hook up the phone and look over the installed apps list via iTunes, the new apps don't show up on the listings, although they do show up on the "screen shots" of the phone itself.

Are these new apps actually backed up when I run a backup from iTunes...or not. If not, then how might they be backed up.

Sometime soon, Apple is going to update its system software for the 4S and if I install this, I understand the jailbroken apps will not work and I'll have to wait for an updated jailbreak. When that happens, how do I get my new apps back?

Thanks!

2. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

Appsync and pkgbackup.

If you install the new iOS when Apple releases it, you will no longer be jailbroken.

3. iFiend macrumors 65816

It might be helpful, if when you offer "advice" to a new jailbreaker, you:

1) Refrain from being completely wrong
    2) Refrain from leading said member towards software which allows one to pirate apps

Please, tell me, what on earth appsync has to do with the problem that he has?

OP- Pkgbackup is right, and will allow you to backup your jailbreak apps and settings. I bought it back when I first started jailbreaking my 3G, and it has proved invaluable. Highly recommend it.

As far as the jailbreak apps not showing up in iTunes, they never will. Since they are not built with Apple's tools, they are not able to be saved into your iTunes library. That is what Pkgbackup is for.

Note: they will appear on the homescreen shots, when you're loading new apps onto your phone, and I have yet to really understand why :D

4. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Do you have to use Pkgbackup? When I look in /Applications on my phone I see several app folders that I got from Cydia. Can't we just back those up on the computer, and put them back when updated and jailbroken?

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

No, you don't have to use Pkgbackup, but what you're proposing won't work. When you just copy an app folder to your computer, and restore it, it changes the permissions, and Cydia won't recognize it as being installed as well.

If you don't want to pay for Pkgbackup (again, I think it is 100% worth it, IMO), then I would suggest just going into your list of packages and taking screenshots of everything, and restoring them once you are jailbroken again.

And a quick FYI- there are two "applications" folders. One for stock and cydia apps (that you mention) and another that has all of your appstore apps ;)

6. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought Pkgbackup and I think I have it running properly. The documentation is weak. I have it synced with iTunes, I think, but...I have no way I've discovered yet of verifying that.

7. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Changing permissions isn't a real problem, but I just read that another folder needs to be backed up as well. All in all kind of a pain. So yeah, Pkgbackup looks pretty good. Except for the price. Not sell a kidney expensive, but hey..

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Its saves the info in your contacts. Check your phone or your mac to see if it is saved in your contacts.

No documentation, DIY, get used to it :)

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I believe he ment to say APTbackup, which will allow the OP to do smomething similar to what he is looking for, we all make mistake sometime. ;)

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

11. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It saves to contacts? Uh, under what file name?

12. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Depends on your settings, it could be to DropBox too. But you would've had to specify.

13. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't see any place or way to select the file name to which the program saves programs or data.

14. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Look under P in addressbook, starts with Pkg_ then your UDID

You can select the backup method in settings of Pkgbackup.
    If you selected addressbook you'll have to sync with itunes afterwards to make sure its backedup permanently. Dropbox works good and is without the itunes sync.

15. iFiend macrumors 65816

I find the best way to use Pkgbackup is via the upload to Dropbox option...

16. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Will Cydia remember that I purchased my apps if I restore without using PKGBackup? my phone is acting quirky and I need a "Erase all Content" type of thing. Should I do this?

Will I have to purchase them all again?

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Once you restore your phone and re-JB, just sign back in to whichever account you used to purchase them and it will show everything you have bought (Cydia/first page/Manage account)