Backing up and Restoring iCal (10.4 to 10.5)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer2eydevil88, Apr 15, 2008.

1. jer2eydevil88 macrumors 6502

jer2eydevil88

Hello Everyone!!

I am helping someone who found themselves in a bit of a predicament with their Macbook Pro. Their hard drive failed completely while upgrading to leopard. Fortunately when they bought this machine back in mid 2006 I had set them up with a .mac account and an external hard drive (500gb) to do incremental backups of their entire home folder with the Apple Backup utility. So while they had to scrap the internal drive and all the files created before the previous backup (10 days) they are in pretty good shape.

That said there is one problem, I cannot get iCal to restore. I have no idea why but even after restoring the entire users home folder they are still left with default calendars. Keeping in mind that this home folder was from OS 10.4 and I reinstalled using their Leopard 10.5 disk I assume something here isn't clicking.

I don't want to shoot around in the dark possibly making things worse and my situation seems unique enough that Google isn't very helpful. So I am hoping someone here in the community has dealt with the process of upgrading and restoring a home folder.

I appreciate the help!

Thanks,
    Lane

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It might be because of permission issues. Check that the backup file of the iCal events are read/writable/executable to the new user.

3. jer2eydevil88 thread starter macrumors 6502

jer2eydevil88

I found a way to fix the problem

I went and checked the permissions using finder (Terminal seemed overkill for that) and they were fine. So that may not have been the problem but the good news is that I fixed it for myself, bad news is that I have no idea why it wouldn't restore with the rest of the home folder.

I went into /Users/Username/Library/Application Support/iCal and found a bunch of .ics files inside of cryptically named folders. I took a screenshot if you are interested in seeing what my folder looks like.

[​IMG]

When I double clicked on those .ics files I was able to open them in iCal and import them without a problem. Trouble is now they are all named corestorage 0 - 6 but I'm sure that with a few minutes spent we can figure out what they used to be called.

I think the problem stems from the changing over to Leopard and using Backup to restore the home folder. She has as couple other anomalies (no fonts showing up in mail) that I am sure I can fix by simply deleting preferences.

Thanks for the help!
    Lane

4. r88my macrumors regular

I had this exact problem when I upgraded from tiger to leopard a few months ago. I had all my stuff synced with .mac in tiger but when it came to syncing back to leopard everything synced fine except my ical calenders. I couldn't find a fix for it or get any advice online. Luckily I had an old manual backup from ical that I used to painstakingly rebuild my calenders. My advice for anyone upgrading from tiger to leopard is to do a manual backup from ical so that you can restore from it in leopard should .mac syncing not work properly. Same thing happened with my wife's upgrade but luckily I had thought ahead after my own experience!