Backing up App Data?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gman901, Mar 18, 2011.

1. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I think I may one of the few that is interested in backing up app data from apps I purchase on the App Store, but is there any way to do this without jb'ing my iPhone? I sometimes need to delete apps off my iPhone and MBA to make space, but installing individual apps back always results in losing my data and I do not need to do a full restore to reinstall individual apps. I would easily pay $20 for an app that can do this without the need to jailbreak! :)

2. mamba macrumors newbie

interested too

I interested in answer too.
    I thought that iTunes do this for me.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There isnt a way currently to backup just appdata on stock firmware.
    Its either all thru restore from backup or nothing.
    Sucks, I hope Apple puts out a solution for this in the future with more tabs on itunes for appdata or thru the new MobileMe they're planning on releasing.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

+1

Completely agree. If I wasn't already jailbroken I'd be terrified of losing my Battleheart save (iTunes link). It's a fantastic polished RPG and I'm in it 7hrs+.

5. gman901 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, I found the solution to this and it is so simple I can't believe I never figured it out before... So all you need is iPhone Explorer (which another poster told me to do, but I did not test it out and relied on a Cydia app to make app data backups). Since iPhone Explorer does not require your iOS device to be jailbroken, it gives me one more reason not to need to jb. All I did was copy the "Documents" folder from the apps I want to backup and copy them to a folder on my MacBook Air. I tested to see if it worked by taking my iPhone data I copied and placed the Documents folder in my official 4.3 IPad app(s) using iPhone Explorer and fired up several games. All the games on my iPad began exactly where I left it on my iPhone. It also works both ways- from my iPad back to my iPhone. Problem solved!