Backing up Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sflomenb, Jan 25, 2016.

1. sflomenb, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Does the Apple Watch actually get automatically backed up to the iPhone on a regular basis? Or only when pairing for the first time and unpairing? For example, some time in September I changed my iPhone passcode and unfortunately forgot what it was. So I needed to wipe and restore my phone. I wasn't able to unpair my watch since I couldn't get access to my phone.

So anyway, I just checked under Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage. There is an Apple Watch backup... but it's from September when I had to wipe my phone. It seems like my Apple Watch has not backed up since then.

So does the Watch only back up during pairing and unpairing? Or is it supposed to backup on a regular basis and there is something wrong with my iPhone and/or Watch?

Edit: I backup my iPhone to both iCloud and iTunes on a regular basis and the date is still the same.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The :apple:Watch updates data dynamically to the iPhone. You must then backup your iPhone to have a backup.

3. sflomenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I backup my iPhone to both iCloud and iTunes on a regular basis and the date is still the same.

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I looked in my settings, and I could not find any reference to a Watch backup either in the phone or iCloud. So, I wonder if that is a leftover artifact from a prior OS version or backup?

5. sflomenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Thanks.

Did you go to the place I said and scroll all the way to the bottom?

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Doh... I looked three times before and Missed it. (I have dozens of apps on my phone.) Anyway, I have multiple backups, and the last one was 9/25.

7. sflomenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

It's strange how our Watches haven't backed up since September. I asked one of my friends and his hasn't backed up since the same date as you, 9/25.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

OS2 released 9/21. Maybe that is associated with the date of the last backup.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That is just a backup of paring/wOS info. All Apps, data and settings or integrated into the iPhone backup.

10. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

From my experience before returning the SS AW I bought, my frequent regular backups of my iPhone were all I needed. The watch being nothing more than an extension of my watch rendered backups less than important. Had I found AW effective and useful for me I still would not have backed it up.

Perhaps some users feel differently, a position I respect. I do understand that gadget enthusiasts love tinkering with Apple Watch. It's right there, ever present on their wrists, ready to be shown off, another plus for vanity driven buyers. Apple's first product that can be pushed into the fashion category.

11. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Is it in the iPhone or iCloud part? Still haven't found it. Mind if you post a screenshot?

12. sflomenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

iPhone. image.png image.png

13. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Found it, thank you. It wasn't at the end of the list, though because my backup is larger. My most recent backup is from 16/01/23, that is when I made the last encrypted backup via iTunes (iPhone connected) so it saves all the health data, logins etc.

14. sflomenb thread starter macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

Weird, I make iTunes encrypted backups as well, including yesterday. Date doesn't change.

15. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Indeed. I have four different backups listed there made between July 2015 and 1/23/16. On a side note, I reset my iPhone and set it up again with a recent backup because I had some weird issues with the music player. That was on 1/23 as well.