backing up applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by john2006wright, Oct 10, 2008.

1. john2006wright macrumors regular

Hi guys. I'm going to upgrade from Tiger to Lepopard very soon and plan to do a fresh install as I would like to get rid lots of crappy third party apps etc. that I've downloaded and just to have a nice clean start. So i have got all my application cds to reinstall my software but in the midst of time I've lost my office 2004 cd. Is their anyway of creating a back up version of of my office 2004 in Tiger, that I can then install on Leopard? I've read that doing a simple upgrade can cause problems for suites such as office.

Thanks

2. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

I've read somethng about making dmg file but is it as simple as dragging the office folder from the apps folder into a dmg?

3. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

or is it the .pkg file I need to find and keep? anyone?

4. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

If you installed office in tiger by just dragging the folder to your hard drive from the CD, then you should just be able to drag it anywhere (burn to CD, to external drive...) and put it back on once you got leopard installed. If you want to keep any of the preference changes you made to those apps, copy the .plist file in the Library/Preferences folder also and put it where it belongs in Leopard.

Not sure if you can do the same if you used the custom installer from the CD.

5. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it was a installer that loaded up and i clicked through its options.

6. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

I guess you can still try, but I don't know if the installer might have put things in other places you might need. My guess is no because the drag n drop method results in a working Office by just dragging it over to wherever you want without putting any other files anywhere else.

Did that make any sense? :p

7. john2006wright thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to do an archive and install and just hope for the best. I have Tiger as a bootable external so I can always go back to that.
    Thanks for your help

john