Backing up Apps before clean install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by D1G1T4L, Sep 5, 2009.

1. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Wanting to a install SL on my MBP and was hoping there was a way to backup my apps, key chain, web favs, etc before doing a clean install. I have an external drive so is there any way to do this so it will make it a bit easier for me?

2. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Anyone?

Am I able to backup with CCC or SuperDuper and then just drag my apps over once I install SL?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Use migration assistant to recover your library file, keychain and apps. That's what I did.

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Some apps, yes, you can drag back over. Other ones that have installers (that place files all over the place) cannot be dragged back over. If you do, you will be missing parts of the app.

Either use Migration Assistant (which could turn out badly) or just reinstall all the programs (best way).

5. D1G1T4L thread starter macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Yeah have the feeling I'm not going to get away cheating here. Time to locate all my software and emails with registration keys.......fun fun

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

It depends on the app. Most are simple and you can just do File > Export. Others, I chose to do an exact back up of the whole folder, so I drug the iPhoto and iTunes folder off to the external. Then after they were reinstalled I just deleted the file that was in there and put the one from my external back in it's place. Not that hard. Everyone has a different way.