Backing up apps so you don't lose them

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Cottonsworth, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Cottonsworth macrumors regular

I sold my iPhone 3G and got the new iPhone 4. I synced all my apps from my 3G with my iMac and I would actually like to reformat my iMac (spring cleaning) without losing my apps.

Can I transfer my apps from my iMac to my iPhone 4, and then retransfer my apps from my iPhone 4 to my freshly formatting iMac? Or is there a better way to backup my apps before I format my iMac so I don't lose them? Thanks.

2. noshjewman macrumors member

Your apps are stored in the iTunes folder - ~/music/iTunes/Mobile Applications

I don't know how you are planning on spring cleaning your drive (clean install, copying from a backup) but if you want to just copy the stuff across rather than re-syncing your phone, it will be marginally quicker.

Either way should work.

Josh

3. Cottonsworth thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on doing a clean install. If I backup that folder and then put it back in my freshly cleaned machine, all I would have to do is just type in my Apple ID password and then I'm good right? I just want to make sure I don't lose my apps, especially the ones I paid for.

4. noshjewman macrumors member

You'll need to let iTunes know that they are there as well, I imagine - use "add to library" command, or just select all of the items in the finder and drop them onto the apps window in your new, empty version of iTunes.

Unless... of course... you are going to be saving your iTunes library file (also in the ~/music/iTunes folder) in which case it will know that your items are there.

Hope that is clear!

Josh

5. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

Would the above solution also work if I was trying to transfer my apps from my MacBook to my MacBook Pro? I was planning on putting my apps on a USB drive and then just dragging them into my MBP iTunes.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

This should work. If not then you will need to use the add to library feature. Make sure to de-authorise your old iTunes account, and re-authorise your new one.