Backing up apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rstark18, Feb 27, 2015.

1. rstark18 macrumors 6502a

I normally don't bother backing up apps in iTunes. But with the current release of VLC 2.4.1 having issues I thought I'd better have a backup of 2.3 for good measure. I went to do a manual backup in iTunes and it asked me if I would like to back up apps. I said yes. I then did the backup and I see all the apps EXCEPT VLC. I tried it again with my ipad and same thing, no VLC.ipa in the Mobile Applications folder. I know for a fact it will backup app that are no longer available through iTunes as I have another app (MotionX-Dice) that hasn't been available for years and it backed up just now.
    Any ideas on how to get VLC.ipa to backup?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

When you says "Yes" to backup apps. You are saying yes, you want to backup the data within the app even though the application is not in your iTunes library. Has nothing to do with backing up the IPA file to the computer. It is only the data associated with the app.

The only way I know to get an IPA file off a device is by transferring purchases in iTunes, but the item must still be available in the app store in order to authorize the download/transfer.

3. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think that is accurate (on a PC at least)
    As of this morning my Mobile Applications folder (in the iTunes folder) was completely empty. I had deleted all of its content months ago. I know it was empty this morning because my daily backup to my NAS shows it as empty. As soon as I said "Yes" to allow iTunes to backup my apps, it filled this folder with the apps from my iPhone (except for VLC).

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Just syncing your device is enough to transfer over the IPA file, if that file is still available on the iTunes Store. But the actual process of "Would you like to backup apps" Is the process of backing up the app data for apps that are not found on your computer.

I've spoken with a Genius about it about a year ago because I didn't understand why I kept getting that pop-up every time I did a manual iTunes backup. Its pretty much telling you that the data for the app will be backed up, but the IPA is not found on the computer and therefore if you had to restore from the backup the data would be preserved but you could not reinstall the application itself, which obviously would be pointless.

Maybe this information is inaccurate, but it is what I was told by Apple and I've never had the issue since I've made sure that all the apps on my device match my iTunes library.

5. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Syncing definitely does not sync the .ipa files. I have been syncing my iPhone to iTunes a lot over the last few weeks to put music on and none of that syncing created .ipa files. That's why I'm fairly sure it's the "Would you like to back up the apps". This creation of the ipa files doesn't use the files from the current iTunes catalog as I have an ipa that was created today the hasn't been available in the iTunes Store for years (and yes amazingly it still works.

How can I force it to ask me if I'd like to back up the apps again?

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I am unsure how to force it to make it ask you. But I do know that all my files transfer over when I sync. That is step 8 on my iPhone 6 and iPad 2 "Coping Items". Whenever I download an app on my phone, the next time I sync it will copy to my iTunes Library.

Try deleting one app out of your iTunes library and then plug your device in and click backup device. Maybe that will force it.

7. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. rstark18 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Deleting and reinstalling an app forced a download of the .ipa when a manual backup was done. That answered that question. Now my problem is I want to get the old ipa of VLC on my phone and every time I install the old version I get the blank ios icon and it says installing when I try to launch it. It is a back up of an ipa from a friend not mine but I don't think that should make a difference since I also used to have this file in my library. I've tried a lot of reinstalling and every time I get that. Looks like I might be out of luck

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

The only way your friend's IPA would work is if his account is authorized to be used with your iTunes. Each IPA is tied to the iTunes account of the purchaser. If you right click and get info of the IPA in iTunes it will tell you what account it is tied to.