Backing up AVCHD files from Canon HG20

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by robbyhipp, Nov 24, 2009.

1. robbyhipp macrumors newbie

I backed up my AVCHD to my external hardrive. I am concerned that I will not be able to access the format of the files once they are on the hardrive and no longer on my camera.

When I want to import clips to iMovie, I have previously accessed them from the camera directly. I attempted to import them into iMovie from the external and iMovie did not recognize the files.

How can I backup my movie files from my Canon HG20 to an external drive and still be able to access the files for viewing/editing on my computer.

2. 24jg3520 macrumors newbie

Anyone?

Guess you didn't get an answer. I'm interested too so a bump for you.

3. nevets007 macrumors newbie

I had the same issue

In order for iMovie to recognize the files and be able to import again all the files in the camera have to be on one drive. So first you need to backup all the files. When you want to import again you would either have to move them all back on to your camera or to a memory card that just contains those files. iMovie will then prompt for import.

Another method that I had to do because I accidentally deleted some clips is to use the VLC program to convert the movie files to mpg4 files. Then I copied the files into the clip folder of iMovie. This made them to automatically appear in the program when I started it up.

Sorry I can't give you more detail right now because I'm not on my computer. Hope this helps, if you need more detail let me know and I'll post it when I'm on my computer.

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I read something on here the other day about creating a folder that iMovie sees as the drive/disk in your camera and will import the footage just like plugging in your camera.

I'll look for it, but incase I can't find it I think it was last week in the Video threads.

5. Slovak macrumors regular