Backing up backup Hard Drive to DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JubileeC, Jun 5, 2008.

1. JubileeC macrumors newbie

I've been trying to search for an answer to a fairly simple problem - I want to back up my backup hard drive onto a set of DVDs. As my drive is 500Gb, is there tool that will split up the files so that all I need to do is feed in a DVD every 10 minutes or so? Something like the iTunes backup option for backing up your music and movies.

I'm sure this must be possible - anyone got any tool suggestions?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I strongly suggest you get another hard drive to back up your current one.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

I also recommend getting an additional hard drive preferably an external with FireWire 400/800. Then you could perform rotational off-site backups. Hard drives also have rewrite capability that DVD-Rs do not. This would be a much better solution that burning hundreds of DVDs then having to label and organize each disc. By the time its all said and done an external hard drive would be much cheaper.

4. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

DVDs are a complete waste of time and materials on an amount of data that large when you can buy a 500 gb drive for 80 bucks.

Not to mention when retrieving that backed up data, how slow it will be to pull it off all the discs.

Def. get an external enclosure from newegg or one of these (I highly recommend Macally) and a bare drive and go to town...
    Or there's always the prebuilt options if you prefer.

Firewire capable enclosures are always more expensive, but are well worth it.