Backing up boot camp partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GloStix, May 12, 2008.

1. GloStix macrumors member

My Windows XP partition doesn't have enough space on it, so the only way I know how is to back up the Windows HD and install Windows via bootcamp again except with more space and then restore the data...

Would that work?
    What programs do you suggest will help me with this.

I have superduper! by the way.

Thanx.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

WinClone FTW. SuperDuper! (or Carbon Copy Cloner) won't work with the BC partition, nor will Time Machine.

3. GloStix thread starter macrumors member

Will it work the way I think it will work?
    Do you know what the process is?

Thanx btw.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Well, not knowing the way you think it will work... ;)

It will make an exact, perfect duplicate of the Windows environment on the Boot Camp partition. I've done a similar process that you're looking to do--cloning Windows, deleting/recreating the BC partition (but smaller in my case), then restoring the clone--and it works flawlessly. In fact, I do it monthly (just the cloning part) for my main Windows backup strategy. It does take some time, and will return lots of "failure" messages, but don't worry, it's just trying to find the optimum size and retries until it does.

Everything clones: OS, apps, files, directory structure, registry, the whole shootin' match. In other words, a true clone. It's not bootable in & of itself (as SuperDuper! is), it needs to be restored to a FAT or NTFS volume.

It's far more reliable and predictable than Norton Ghost, and perfectly suited for the Mac, as it's a Mac utility to copy BC partitions specifically.