Backing up case-sensitive FTP site

Discussion in 'macOS' started by asiga, Feb 17, 2017.

1. asiga macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I wish to back up an FTP site, but it's case sensitive and it has case-conflicting files in the same directory (for example "README.txt" and "readme.txt" as two different files in the same directory). If I use FileZilla or if I just make a copy with Finder (mounting the FTP site on Finder), I obviously get conflicts for such files, because I've MacOS installed with the usual default case behavior.

Is there any possibility of dumping all the FTP site into a TAR file, or even a DMG image formatted as case-sensitive?

How?

NOTE: I am aware that I won't be able to extract the TAR/DMG file into my MacOS filesystem without getting into the conflicts, but that's not a problem, I can browse the image without extracting it.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Sure, you could make a blank DMG formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled). In Disk Utility, File menu > New Image > Blank Image (assuming Sierra), steps vary in other Disk Utility versions)

You could also create a partition in that format, or format a thumb drive in case sensitive format.

3. asiga thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I know that, but how can I dump the FTP site into it? Can FileZilla or curl transfer into a DMG directly without first saving individual files to disk?

EDIT: Oh, sorry!! Just mount it as read/write!! Stupid me!