Backing Up Computer to iPodtouch/iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pubwvj, Dec 10, 2009.

1. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

The iPod Touch / iPhone is a great piece of hardware but missing one critical thing: backing up of our computer files so that one can be carrying a copy of critical data. With the handhelds running 16GB, 32GB, etc there is lots of space for this for daily backup.

I currently do this by using WebDav (e.g., GoodReader or AirSharing) or DiskAid on the iPod Touch and then Deja Vu to transfer the files. It is not an ideal solution and is rather awkward. Sometimes this goes extremely slowly.

I would love to see Apple integrate file backup to the iPodTouch/iPhone but in the mean time was wondering what solutions other people are using who do this.

Cheers

-Walter
    Sugar Mountain Farm
    in the mountains of Vermont
    Save 30% off Pastured Pork with free processing: http://SugarMtnFarm.com/csa
    Read about our on-farm butcher shop project: http://SugarMtnFarm.com/butchershop

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I tried various ways, including DiskAid and various other file transfer apps, and finally just gave up and bought a flash drive. Sure, it's one more thing to carry, but it weighs less than an extra key on my key chain, and fits in my pants pocket. No more awkward workarouonds trying to get the Touch to act like a proper hard drive, hurray!

3. pubwvj thread starter macrumors 68000

pubwvj

The FlashDrive's certainly one good solution. I do have that, although in my case it is a CompactFlash card in the PCMCIA card slot of my PowerBook, same idea though. Still, wouldn't it be great to have the iP doing it too...

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, I certainly would love for Apple to implement this. But since they haven't, the best solution right now seems to be not to attempt to use the Touch as a flash drive. Unfortunately.

5. bond1cht macrumors newbie

DiskAid: How to view backupped files on the iPod Touch?

Hi, I just installed DiskAid on my PC, and it's nice to see come of the contents of the iPod in the file browser. However, my idea was to use simple text files both on the PC and on the iPod. Maybe this is a stupid question, but how can I view files that I transferred into the DiskAid folder not only on the PC, but on the iPod itself? If I can only store the stuff on the iPod without being able to access it there, DiskAid is completely useless for me.
    Thanks, bond1cht