Backing up contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Primejimbo, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I use iCloud for contacts, email, and everything else, and I like it a lot. I also use an iPad and iPhone more and my MacBook hasn't been touched in a few months.
    Is there a way to make a back up of contactd without using a computer? I was hopping I would see a setting in Dropbox that would do this.
    I also use outlook for email, but just for email. One day I tried to export from iCloud and import to outlook just as a back up and outlook wouldn't take the file type.

What do others use?

2. cynics macrumors G4

Personally I just rely on iCloud. Its worked great for me. Somehow I managed to lose all my contacts on my iPhone (don't ask me how I even did it) so I used the opportunity to restore as new. Once I entered my Apple ID and turned on iCloud all my old contacts propagated.

I would like to know how to save a file of contacts to my Mac though just in case.

3. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

I know you can log into iCloud.com and export all your contacts and then you can save them as a back up on your Mac. You can just do this every few weeks and delete the older export.

I thought about doing this on my Mac mini (this is a Mac that is used for media only) and I can just export that info and then upload it to Dropbox as a back up. This just seems like too much work.

I have read issues where people just delete all their contacts somehow from iCloud and no way of getting it back.

4. artfun macrumors member

It could be unpopular here, and I don't know if it's better, but I am syncing contacts with g o o g le account. So far so good, despite that I've already changed several devices.

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Before iCloud I've always backed my Contacts to a disc (hard drive and DVDr). iCloud is nice but its good to have a backup.

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You can export your contacts from your Mac to your Dropbox account. Open Contacts on your Mac, go to File, Export, Contacts Archive. Chose your Dropbox folder from the drop down menu.

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I use google (thinking hard about moving to outlook.com) and every now and then I'll export a .csv to my laptop.

Outlook.com will allow you to do the same.

8. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

That is a way to go, but I wish I could do something that will make it so a Mac/PC isn't needed.

I exported from iCloud and tried to import to Outlook and it said it was the wrong file type.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I used the cloud but also make a complete backup to my desktop via iTunes. Nothing restores a iPhone faster and more complete than a hard backup via iTunes.

10. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Not sure how iCloud exports, but it has to be a .csv for Ouook.com to take it.

Are you just wanting a back up or do you need contact info in both places? If you just need a backup you can export from iCloud and upload it to OneDrive, GoogleDrive, Dropbox, etc.