Backing up docs that reside in iCloud

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by tinstaafl, Oct 16, 2012.

1. tinstaafl macrumors newbie

Hi all

I've tried searching for this, but other than a couple of workarounds that apparently no longer work, I've not really found a definitive answer.

I currently use Google for all email, docs, etc. I was intending to move everything over to locally-stored docs and iCloud since my gf and I are acquiring more and more iOS devices. Whilst I'm relatively new to Apple stuff, I am an IT manager so backups are obviously taken seriously! Our iMac is backed up with Time Machine, and also backs up to CrashPlan online. In addition, pictures are burned to DVD and taken offsite. Finally, the iMac gets Carbon Copied from time to time. So we're pretty thorough :)

Obviously I realise iCloud is for syncing and not backing up, but I'm struggling to understand how you're supposed to back up documents that you're storing there. I presumed it would be similar to Dropbox, where there is some form of versioning and more importantly, there is a local folder that can be backed up so at least I can use TM or CrashPlan's restore facility to return to previous versions. But it seems you actually save docs directly to iCloud, or at least it makes it seem like that.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If you are doing a full Time Machine backup you're already covered. The iCloud docs are stored locally in ~/Library/Mobile Documents.