Backing up DVD U Legal Own

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by littleb2005, Sep 30, 2008.

1. littleb2005 macrumors member

my question is this is it straight out possible to make a iso of a dvd movie you own or do i had to decrypt it first

2. samrulestothema macrumors regular

hi there,

im not sure about isos, but you can use Handbrake to make a dvd into a .avi file. If you want to use the divx decoder, i think you need to install version 0.9.1.

a quick google search will show you :)

3. littleb2005 thread starter macrumors member

not what am after sorry

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You don't own the movie - you own the right to view the movie in a private setting. Making a copy of a DVD is illegal.

It is however very easy with the right software - a Google search is what you need to do.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You could also look for MactheRipper which creates _ts files. Or simply use Disk Utility to make a full-size image if the DVD.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

if i own the right to view the movie in a private setting, how come i must rebuy the movie if the original gets scratched?

you are paying for the license right? not the disk yet you will not find a single retail outfit give you a disk if you scratch yours up

or are you buying the disk as apparently even if you bought the dvd, you must rebuy it if you lose or damage the disk. in that case you should be allowed to back it up 100% imo

7. newb16 macrumors regular

License is valid until you scratch it making it unreadable or until a pig fly, whatever occurs first.

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Already mentioned, but condensed.
    MacTheRipper - rips to Video_TS Files - used to be free, not sure about the new version.

HandBrake - it's the cats @$$, or the dogs bollacks, whichever suits you. Free, and will rip/encode to a variety of formats. (but not to native DVD format)

DVD2ONE - will take a larger capacity DVD (say 7 Gigs), and compress it (to 4.5 Gigs) for backup on a DVD-R. -- So you don't have to worry about flying pigs, or scratched discs.

Please don't steal commercial / intellectual property! It's a crime!