Backing Up Dvd's With My Mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigpz1981, Oct 7, 2008.

1. bigpz1981 macrumors newbie

I am a new owner of a MBP and was looking to back up some of my DVD's. I was wondering what stock/included software I have and what software I would need to do it. I assume that I will need some ripping software, but wasn't sure if my MBP had the proper software to burn DVD's. Let me know, thanks.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What kind of DVDs are we talking about here? And most importantly, do you own them?

3. Habusho macrumors 6502

The man is asking for advice, we're not the police here.
    A program called MactheRipper is the most used program to rip Dvds. The thing is, is that it has an old version which works on some DVDs and a newer version (works on most DVDs) which you have to donate to the programmer to get.

4. bigpz1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is response to both threads-

They are normal movies DVD's, and yes, I do own them. So chill out...

And Habusho, thanks for the response. I have heard of and checked out MTR but wasn't sure which version I should get. If possible, would you mind providing the name of the better one (even if it requires a donation to the programmer) or even a link. Also, what about the burning step of the process. What's the best way with either provided Mac OS software or software I need to somehow get, to burn once the DVD's been imported?

Thanks again in advance...

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

We're not the police, but I have conscience. I also wanted to know kind of discs they work so I could suggest the right software; also if you read the forum rules, we don't assist or allow warez, backups of rented stuff, etc. So, please read the rules before you post.

I was asking if they were software, movies, audio, etc. But saying MacTheRipper works pretty much clears it up.

Anways: MacTheRipper is the best and to rip imported DVDs you need to patch your SuperDrive firmware with a "Region-Free" version, so you can play discs from anywhere in the world. You can find this firmware on this forum by searching here or Google (or whatever tickles your fancy).

6. wakeborder556 macrumors regular

handbrake is a cool program to rip DVD's and have them converted for ipod.

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Actually, alphaod's concerns are valid. Aiding in Piracy can get sites like this shut down. So if there is obvious piracy he/she has a valid concern, especially if they like Macrumors.

Anyway,

If you want them backed up in their full glory (with minimal compression and full features), I would suggest creating DMG files with Disk utility. That way you have full images of the entire DVD as a true full backup of that media.

I have .DMG files on two large external disks, for DVDs that are hard to replace, and, or I use more often. That way I can mount the DVD image as a drive, and watch them, or burn a copy (do this for disks I lost) to watch on my TV. They take up mega space, but if you want a true backup that takes up little space (can hold many DVD images on a 500gb drive), this is an other option.

[​IMG]