Backing Up dvds...

taco2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
US
I am new to mac's and need a program to backup some of my dvds. When i had my PC i used DvdXCopy. Are there any programs like it for macs? That program made backing up dvds easy. All you had to do is stick in the dvd, hit copy, then take the movie out once it is through copying it and then stick in a black dvd.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
taco2004 said:
I am new to mac's and need a program to backup some of my dvds. When i had my PC i used DvdXCopy. Are there any programs like it for macs? That program made backing up dvds easy. All you had to do is stick in the dvd, hit copy, then take the movie out once it is through copying it and then stick in a black dvd.
DVD xcoppy is now illegal in the us.... (and obviously only works on pc's)

i am assuming you are making backups of dvds you have purchased and not rented right???

this may help.... and it is free...

http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/DVDBackup-Download-5085.html

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
taco2004 said:
Assuming you are making backup copies of legally owned DVDs:

- MacTheRipper to rip to your HD

- DVD2OneX to reduce the size to fit on a regular DVD

- Toast to burn the DVD

Or, if you like you can skip DVD2OneX and use Toast to both reduce the size and burn the DVD.

I prefer using DVD2OneX verses Toast to reduce the size. BTW, DVD2One is the PC version of the DVD2OneX program.

taco2004

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2006
US
Does DVD2OneX reduce the video quality?

sushi said:

- Toast to burn the DVD

Or, if you like you can skip DVD2OneX and use Toast to both reduce the size and burn the DVD.

I prefer using DVD2OneX verses Toast to reduce the size. BTW, DVD2One is the PC version of the DVD2OneX program.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
taco2004 said:
Does DVD2OneX reduce the video quality?
IMHO, it is one of the best programs out there because the quality is maintained.

Now if you get in a really long movie (2 hours plus) and a bunch of audio tracks and extras, you can see a difference.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
FirePak said:
Isnt quality maintained across all programs depending on the size? Or does Dvd2onex have something the others dont?
As I understand, their compression method is different.

Also, they do not split the video and audio track when compressing. In fact, the audio track is not compressed.

DVD2OneX is fast as well.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
taco2004 said:
I use an app called Fast DVD Copy 4 on OS X, it is a 1 click operation. The current version works perfectly on my MBP (it's bloody fast) but some people have reported issues with it (probably the older versions), so try the demo. It is flawless for me, YMMV.

Oct 31, 2005
I use mactheripper and dvd2onex. Both are excellent programs, and well worth the money. I know there are cracks out there for dvd2onex, but I chose to support the software developer, they did come out with a great program I use frequently, so why not pay them?:)

When I use dvd2onex, I only burn to single layer dvd if the video compression is under 20%, if it is more compression than that for a single layer dvd, i Just burn it to a double layer dvd (0% compression)

andrewface

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
i use dvd backupse

i use dvdbackup seems to work best for me
i havnt tried mactheripper is that better?

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
sushi said:

- Toast to burn the DVD

If you dont want to pay the price for both Toast and DVD2OneX, you can either:
a) just get Toast 7
or
b) use Disk Utility instead of Toast

I do everything sushi does except use Toast, I use Disk Utility. My DVDs turn out great. If I would have known about Toast 7 when I decided to back up my DVDs, I would have just bought that. But I didn't, oh well.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Question for someone who never has burned a DVD:

How bout burning to double layer discs. Do we need to compress anything then?

I hate compressing anything even if the qualitity is said to be the same...

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
poppe said:
Question for someone who never has burned a DVD:

How bout burning to double layer discs. Do we need to compress anything then?

I hate compressing anything even if the qualitity is said to be the same...
I use double layer dvds so you dont have to compress anything :D If i use a SL dvd i use MTR and Toast to compress and burn. Takes about 30 minutes start to finish.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
stuartluff said:
I use double layer dvds so you dont have to compress anything :D If i use a SL dvd i use MTR and Toast to compress and burn. Takes about 30 minutes start to finish.
Ok good... now got to go get the double layer DVDs... man pricey...

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
cycocelica said:
If you dont want to pay the price for both Toast and DVD2OneX, you can either:
a) just get Toast 7
or
b) use Disk Utility instead of Toast

I do everything sushi does except use Toast, I use Disk Utility. My DVDs turn out great. If I would have known about Toast 7 when I decided to back up my DVDs, I would have just bought that. But I didn't, oh well.

So to back up a purchased DVD in Disk Utility, do you burn the disk as an ISO image or do you just drag the files into Disk Utility? Thanks!

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Freeware? Shareware?

I'm reasonably OS X savy...and search savy too, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to back-up DVDs. I just want to have a copy of my daughter's favorites so that if she scratches it we aren't out $20. I'm using MacTheRipper to get a copy to my machine, but the burning step is confusing. All I can see is that I need Toast or Popcorn or other software, but I'd prefer a freeware or shareware (yes! I donate) solution. Thoughts?