Backing Up DVD's

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmk229, Jun 1, 2010.

1. jmk229 macrumors member

I am looking to backup my sons DVD's, a few have gotten so scratched they skip while they are playing back. I am using my PS3 as a DVD player. What is the best program to rip them to my Mac? Then what do I do if I want to rip them to a DVD that will play in my PS3. Is there a certian format? The more information the better. I have a very vague understanding of how this all works.

I did find from MRoogle that RipIt appears to be a really good choice for ripping the DVD to the Mac... but then what? Can I just pop a DVD in and burn it?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

RipIt and MacTheRipper are good for ripping, but if you want to encode them into different (smaller) format, use HandBrake. Then use Disk Utility to burn them to DVD (or Toast). You can also stream movies from Mac to PS3 with PS3 Media Server or to save DVDs, use ext HD or memory stick instead

PS3: Supported file formats

3. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

4. jmk229 thread starter macrumors member

What format do these programs convert the files into? I could just drag the file onto an external hard drive (would it be formatted correctly to play on my PS3)

As you can tell I don't know a whole lot, but would love to learn. I am just looking for my best solution to back up my DVD's. And then if I have to use my back-up what is the best way to play them back???

I have tried streaming but anything that is HD studders on my PS3. Anyone know how I can fix that?? I have stopped streaming over my Mac and reverted to streaming on my PC. Seems to work much better through WMP.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

RipIt outputs them in either .vob or .dvdmedia, both are unplayable by PS3. Ripping takes a LOT more space than encoding so I would use HandBrake for "ripping" as then you can output it in e.g. .avi which is playable by PS3. The file size also matters as PS3 needs ext HD in FAT32 format which has file size limit of 4GB.

HD strugglers for me too, that's why I bought MDP to HDMI, made things a lot easier.