Backing up Exchange contacts

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by new-to-mac, Mar 4, 2015.

1. new-to-mac macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have an iphone6 which has 2 accounts configured: exchange (company email account with contacts) and icloud (which has personal contacts).

I see all my contacts together and in some cases if there is a duplicate, I used the merge functionality and now can see one contact only and where they were merged from. this has worked great.

Last week I left my company but would like to backup my contacts from the exchange account. I noticed that if I delete the exchange account the contacts will be deleted.

SO: is there anyway to copy or synch the exchange contacts to my icloud? (even if I have to go via gmail this would be fine by me)

I googled this and searched this forum and it seems to be a common question but I could not find any solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

When you delete the exchange account it ask you if you want to delete the contacts from your phone. You could just keep them.

3. new-to-mac thread starter macrumors regular

this is not the case for me. running latest iOS. is there some setting to enable this.

see attached screenshot

Attached Files:

4. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

Look for apps that export your contacts, usually done as a file that you can email to yourself. Then import that file into whatever contact manager supports that file type

iCloud can import (and export) only vCard, so if the app doesn't export in vCard (e.g. .csv) and you want these in iCloud, you could import to Gmail first then export from Gmail in vCard, then import to iCloud.

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Oh it might be the policy of the exchange server you are on. That stinks.

6. new-to-mac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks will have a look. Any recommendation on an app that does this well?

7. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

Not personally, never used one though I know they exist and hear people having success with them. Best to check reviews, and prices.

8. new-to-mac thread starter macrumors regular

Quick update. I tried "My Contact Backup" (the free version) which dies 500 contacts and it worked well. I later went with the pro version as I have over 900 contacts and it also worked well. Highly recommended