Backing up files before erase and installing 10.5.4 os

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluebellflames, Jul 2, 2009.

1. bluebellflames macrumors newbie

bluebellflames

I debated over which forum to post under but since I need help and I need the dumbed down version, I decided to post here.

I've had my desktop mac since August 2007 it came with 10.4 and ran beautifully, however, since I was so enamored with it and thought mac was vastly superior to anything p.c. I believed the silly Apple rep when he said there was no need to wipe my computer before installing the new operating system. So, I just put in the disk and followed the instructions. Since then the performance has gone downhill and I'm haunted constantly by the little rainbow beach ball of death.

I want to do a hard erase and install when retrying my installation of 10.5.4

I only have low-tech options: a stack of DVDs (that I was using to back up my itunes library), and 3 gigs in usb sticks.

1. I want to save my itunes music (I need to finish backing up my 90 gig library)

2. My pictures, and some word documents. I'd also like to save my pictures in iPhoto once I've got the os working and somehow (though its probably idiot proof) I couldn't quite get the hang of it before.

3. My bookmarks from Safari (I have no idea how, but this is pretty important to me)

4. My information in mail (addresses, folders etc.)

5. Should I just insert the DVD and drag files onto it? Will this work?

6. I have a few free applications I've downloaded that I plan on just loading again. Is it possible that frostwire (blue version of limewire) has affected my system?

I know this is a lot to ask about and more details about how to accomplish these tasks are definitely appreciated. I numbered everything so if you know the answer to one thing but not another thats fine. Thanks for taking the time to read my rambling.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know this is not a part of your question, but with external HDDs at an all time low in price, you really need to consider purchasing one for this and for a long term backup solution.

It is not likely Frostwire has anything to do with this. I don't want to open the whole "there are no viruses on the Mac" discussion, but unless you authorized a trojan on your system, you are most likely clean in that regard.

You can run Onyx, reset Safari, repair permissions, et. al. but a clean install is probably a good idea at this point.

But do consider a full backup solution and not just random DVDs
    Check Amazon for an inexpensive USB 2.0 drive and self yourself some time and trouble.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. bluebellflames thread starter macrumors newbie

bluebellflames

Macdawg, thanks for the reply. I would love to get an external memory thing, I always drool when I walk by them in a store, and they have come down in price. Unfortunately its just not an option. I'm an unemployed student, I'm due to have surgery in a couple of days so I won't be able to work for a few months (I've had no luck finding any work I can do from home) and I have almost zilch in my account so I'll be living off the kindness of my aunt. I tried to borrow one from a friend but no luck. Thanks for the feedback.