Backing up files, best way?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Primejimbo, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have 3 Mac's and I have a Time Capsule to back up, but I want to make sure I have another back up of just all the files on the Mac's. I am going to buy at least 1TB external hard drive and back up the Mac's on that and just unplug it and store it until I need to back up again.
    Now what would be the easiest way? I was going to go to Mac HD > Users > and copy all those files to the external hard drive. Would that be the easiest and best way to get everything? Will this get all my documents, pictures (in iPhoto) and music?

Thank you.

2. simsaladimbamba

Don't use Finder to simply copy the uHome folders, use CarbonCopyCloner to clone these folders onto the external HDD, with a folder for every user you clone to.
    Do you also have a bootable backup made of one of your Macs, thus you can troubleshoot any Mac in case the internal HDD fracks up?

And if you store all your photos and music and documents inside the Home folders, then cloning those folders will back up that data.

3. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

I will check out the site, so does that back up the files like Time Machine or just copy the files? And no, I don't have a bootable back up, I did see that on that site so I will do that too. How will this be different from the disc's that came with my Macbook?

4. simsaladimbamba

CCC will copy the files, but as many files and folders in your Home folder have different permissions, copying them via Finder sometimes fracks them up, thus using CCC is a good way to not frack the permissions up.
    Time Machine is also a good way for backing them up.

A bootable backup will be different from the Restore DVDs in that way, that you don't have to reinstall all applications you use and just can use your Mac.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find many dozens of threads about all the backup procedures and using CCC:
    [​IMG]

5. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks, I will check it out when i start this project. I like Time Machine/Time Capsule but I am afraid that if I have a big power surge or something the Time Capsule will be ruined and if my Macbook is plugged it, all my stuff are lost. I figured if I back it to an external hard dive when I have new files or whatever, and then unplug it when done, that hard drive is safe from surges and stuff.

6. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Your best bet is to use two hard drives to back up your systems. Use one for Time Machine backups, and use another (preferably USB/FireWire) for CCC disk image backups. That way, if one fails, you have the other.

The likelihood of both volumes failing around the same time is very low.

Just use the Time Capsule for Time Machine backups, and use another external Hard Drive to store CCC-generated disk images of your machines. When you are not backing up via CCC, leave the volume unplugged so if the power goes out, you have no worries with the external drive, and if your Time Capsule fails, you'll have the external disk.

Sorry if that didn't make complete sense, I ramble a lot. Haha.