Backing up Files for my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dukeofism, Aug 14, 2009.

1. dukeofism macrumors member

Is there any problem with backing up files from my mac to my PC that has a large harddrive? Will file compatability cause problems or will it be okay since I won't be opening the files on the PC?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Macs and PCs are actually very compatible. There's nothing wrong with storing your Mac's files on your PC's hard drive. You could even open most of them on your PC and they'd work fine.

Although there are easier methods for backing up your files (hint: Time Machine).

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OS X won't be able to write to the PC hard drive without 3rd party software unless it is formatted as FAT32 (4 GB restriction)

Check out the various file systems here: MR Guide: File Systems

NTFS-3G will allow OS X to read/write to NTFS (Windows) and it is free

MacDrive will allow Windows to read/write HFS+ (Mac OS X), but it is not free

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. OmiKnight52 macrumors member

OmiKnight52

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Now that I read MacDawg's post, are you using an external hard drive? Or are you just moving the files over to a PC, which has a large internal hard drive?

6. dukeofism thread starter macrumors member

I'm using an iPod with a busted screen as an external hard-drive to transfer the files in 2 "trips"

7. OmiKnight52 macrumors member

OmiKnight52

are you on vista? because I think you can just transfer it wirelessly :)

8. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

In that case, the iPod needs to be able to show up on both the Mac and the PC. If it shows up on both, then you just need to make sure you can add files to it from both the Mac and the PC. If you weren't able to add files to it, then it'll have to be reformatted into something both computers can use (FAT32 is a good choice).

Then, just take the files off the iPod and put them onto your PC. Once again, this isn't the most efficient way to backup (Time Machine would be your best choice), but whatever is necessary, I suppose.

9. dukeofism thread starter macrumors member

yeah. I know time machine is the most efficient, I just don't have an external hard drive right now, so I don't thnk that is really an option for me